Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
97 Polaris XLT Limited
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a sled. A guy wants to trade me a wrecked sled in return for some painting labor. He needs part of a semi truck painted.

Anyways what he has is an 03-04 skidoo 800 mountain sled. 151 inch track. The sled was wrecked in the front, hood, belly pan, and possible some suspension. Then engine is not bolted into the sled. I think someone tried fixing this thing before. Anyways the engine also does not run, the recoil went bad and took out the stator. I was told that happens quit a bit on those skidoos. Also the crank seal is pushed out a bit on the clutch side. I don't know why that would be??

What do you guys think, is it worth a couple of days labor for this sled or is it something I should just walk away from. It is definatly a project!! But if I could get into an 03-04 mountain sled for under a grand in parts, I would think it would be worth it?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Red flags are popping for me, I have never heard of a recoil taking out a stator, and crank seals dont just "push out"

Plus with front suspension damage, how bad did the tunnel get "tweaked" you're a body guy, there is no "frame rack" for a sled...

Sounds like more trouble than its worth in my opinion

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
When you break the front end on most sleds, they are toast. That is a really big weak point on skidoo sleds. That sled will cost many dollars and hours of work to get back into anything that resembles a snowmobile. I would walk. Tell him to part out the sled and pay you in cash.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts