Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to buy a new (used) sled. I need all of your inputs on models. I want a sled that I can use to ride the trials and take off across the hills if I want. is a Polaris XCSP 500 a good choice for this? I found one that is a 2002 with 1200 miles on it for $4100. What say you?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 2001 500 XC SP and it is great. It is light and manuverable in the trees, but it still has plenty of giddy up for the lakes and fields. I think the price is good, I thought I got a pretty good deal when I bought mine last year with 3400 miles on it for $3000.

For comparison, the guy I bought my sled off of just got a 2003 800 XC SP. Now it isn't easy to find anything wrong with it, but if I had to find something I like better about my sled it is that I like my 500 better in the tight trails. With the 800, if you have it at 1/8 throttle you are going 50mph. It's either all out or at idle. My sled seems to be better when you are just trying to enjoy the trails. I'm sure I could get used to the 800 though!

You should be happy with it! Good suspention, great handleing, good strong motor. Go for it!

·
Registered
205 Posts
i'd look around, there's alot better deals out there. but that is a really nice sled.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the slow THANK YOU! I will keep looking for one of these. I like the looks of this sled. And I think it will serve my needs. Just want to verify that this is good for powder and trails. Right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Look around at Polaris dealerships. One near me has a leftover 02' xcsp800 and an 03' xcsp800. They are both new, the 02' is going for $4600 and the 03' is going for somewhere around $5600. For these prices, My next new sled will be a leftover.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JimmyV,

Forgive my not knowing, but is the 800 a bit too much sled for trial riding? I would think that you would have to be at like 1/8 throttle the whole time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ah, you read my post! Probably 99% of the snowmobile population would say I'm insane for liking a 500 over an 800 on the trails, so maybe you would be happy with the 800??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know about that (like the 800 over the 500) I am still very much a novice rider. I am open to all opinions.

·
Registered
323 Posts
bowcop said:
JimmyV,

Forgive my not knowing, but is the 800 a bit too much sled for trial riding? I would think that you would have to be at like 1/8 throttle the whole time.

Thanks.
I'd say it's all a matter of opinion. I'm the kind of person who says bigger is better. To bad my wallet wasn't bigger when I bought my last sled, but I'll probably get an 800 or bigger in a few years for my next sled. But yes, if I had enough money for two new sleds, I would be happy with a 500 or 600 for trail riding and an 800 or larger for racing on the lake.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you don't want an 800 look into the 2000 to present xc600 with Varible exhust it's good motor lot's power , nice for crusin' on the trails good on gas , but lots o' power wehen needed

·
Registered
59 Posts
I haven't seen many 500's around but the 600's do quite all right. They keep up with a 600 ho REV and a 800 XC SP no problem in the trials. On the lake's it may get a little behind, but you'll never lose sight of your riding buddies. I would also reccomend a 00' or newer 600, good power, light, nimble, and good suspension, just my 10 yen,

Patrick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts