Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just cleaned the hell out of the carb and thats been an improvement, but I think I need to make a couple adjustments with the screws on the carb.

I also need help on how to tighten the brake pad.

It's a 1978 John Deere Spitfire.

On the side of the carb there are two screws. One down at a diagonal angle and the other going horizontal.

Right now the sled will idle forever, but if I push on the accelerator, it takes awhile for it to react. I'd say at least 2-3 seconds on average. That's anywhere from full gas to gradual gas.

I need to adjust the brake and I've never done that before. Right now, when I slam on the brake it's not stopping the track at all. Not even slowing it down. How to I tighten this pad, or whatever?

One more thing, there this jumpy metallic sound when the engine is running. I imagine it may be the muffler hitting something or something else. I just want to make sure it's not in the engine (which I don't totally suspect it is). I imagine if it was in the engine, the engine wouldn't be running. Anyone have similar issues? Or have any ideas on what I should start ruling out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that. I believe that's for a 79 Spitfire, and unless I'm crazy (which in this case I could very well be), the carbs are different.

Ultimately, though, I've seemed to get it going okay.

Now I just have a cold start issue. But that's a new thread ;).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts