Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres the story i just got a 94 vmax 600. It ran good at first for about 50 miles or so i could get 80 in my feild but now it only goes 50 it bascily stops at 7000 rpm and stay there no matter how long u hold WOT down the feild it didnt used to do that at first and if it did it shifted or something so i looked at the plugs they were very oily b9es is what was in so i replaced them with br8es but it didnt help by the way it always starts amazing hot or cold i never complained about starting i could get it in about 1 or 2 pulls cold 1 pull hot i keep all the fluids full im stumped it still starts up good and runs good just not when i wanna go fast well not compared to how it was before it all started that i noticed after (i think) i was pulling my younger brothers on a sled under 10mph on stock gearing so i thought i fouled a plug but then i tryed changed them didnt help so i know its not the plugs what else can it be it only has 1500 miles on the sled so im not sure whats wrong it used to idle like at 500 after i changed the plugs it idles at 1000 which i prefer the br8es made it start even better i havent checked the plug color yet but what ideas do you guys have here what do i need to check this is my first sled i can work on 2 stroke dirtbikes so i can work on things so please help give me ideas to try thanks for all the help guys

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
your sled should idle at around 1500 rpm. you have perhaps a couple of issues you need to look at. first being the carbs should probably be cleaned completely to simply rule out carbeuration being an issue.

second thing to look at would be both clutches, starting with the primary. your described symptoms teeter both on carbs and clutches, if not a combination of both.

if you dont have a clutch puller, you can get a good look at the components with the clutch on the sled by simply removing the clutch cover.

no problem walking you through the steps if this is unfamiliar territory for you.

one thing to add: i would strongly suggest NOT running the B8ES plugs. they are a hotter plug and you are running the risk of a burndown.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks for the advise i will try these things soon we are getting more snow and i wanna go riding with it working right

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the exact same problem

I have the exact same problem on my 95 vmax long track. Did you find your issue ? My sled will only do 50mph at 7grand . Strange how two sleds have the exact same problem. Both my cylinders test at 128 psi and i put in new plugs but have yet to rip into the carbs.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
I have the exact same problem on my 95 vmax long track. Did you find your issue ? My sled will only do 50mph at 7grand . Strange how two sleds have the exact same problem. Both my cylinders test at 128 psi and i put in new plugs but have yet to rip into the carbs.
not so strange. doesnt seem to matter make or model any more, it come down to pre-season maintenance and post season maintenance, along with regular maintenance.

you guys have similar sleds with similar issues and probably similar habits for maintenance, or the previous owners shared the same habits.

dirty carbs and dirty clutches are the two major performance robbers, assuming all other components are functioning properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well Yamadad i figured my simple issue out after taking the carbs all the way off. I just got this sled in october and the previous owner said he just put new needles and seats in. Well as it turns out i removed carbs and twisted the trottle linkage to find only one slide operating. Second i removed the gold plates at the top of the carbs and found that the screw that holds the slide to the rail was laying on top of the slide. So they got a cleaning anyway while they were off and WOW does this sled run now. Thanks for all of your help on the board here for all of us newbies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts