Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine is almost completely torn apart. I need advice on removing the primary clutch. I have a puller on there and torch heating it up but it wont budge. Theres 2 bolts on the end of the crankshaft. There is an large bolt on the very end of the crank and under that bolt is another one. Im guessing both need to be removed :confused: . Am I missing a step here? Usually Id just go all out and get it off somehow, but I tried removing one before and I bent one of the plate faces that meets the belt and it was useless.

·
Registered
177 Posts
you need a clutch puller for your type of snowmobile and, year, engine size. not sure about cat, but most clutches just have a bolt right in the center of the clutch that you take out and them you need a puller that fits your sled. screws right back into the hole you took the bolt out of. some times there tough coming off if they have never been off. iv'e had to tighted the puller pretty tight and take a piece of 2x4 and put it between the 2 shieves of the cluch and hit it with a hammer. hope your not trying to use a conventional wheel puller to try and get it off cuz all your gonna do is bend stuff. and if you pull your clutch apart, check to see if the 2 halves are marked anywhere. if not, put a scribe mark on both pieces, so when you put it back together the same way it came apart. clutches are balanced and need to go back the same way. LINE THE MARKS UP.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the cover plate off and the spring out, and that gave me a good idea on whats going on in there. It appears that the clutch is threaded onto the crankshaft. Is this right? I can post pics if needed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
hope you marked it before you pulled the cover, like i stated in my other post. unless it's marked from the factory. could raise hell on the crank shaft and bearings if not put back together the same way. i've never pulled one with the clutch pulled apart. you still NEED a puller for your type of sled to get it off. and no, it should not be threaded on there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know of a place online where I can order one?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have found that the best way to pull a tricky clutch is to fill the hole where your clutch puller (for correct make/yr sled) threads into with grease. Then use an air impact wrench on it. It should pop right off. The grease acts like hydraulic fliud when the clutch puller (piston) is threaded deeper. Works for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took mine to the local mom and pop small engine repair shop and they got it off for under $15. ya gotta love small town America!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts