Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i gotta a 89 pantera 440 LC and i have another clutch that comes i wan to intall on it.. the problem is i got a puller made from a machinist with works well but for some reason, the roller part of the clutch, i mean the whole thing exept the back saucer unscrewed on me while i was screwing the puller in it.. and now im' stuck with a shaft and the back over the crankshaft and no way of holding it strong enough to make it go out with the puller.. what i am to do ?

:confused:

fr0st

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
I know with Doo's I take out a spark plug and put clothesline rope in the cylinder, then turn the crank until it won't move anymore. That way I can turn the puller without the engine turning.

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
isisn't that kinda of harsh for a engine?

coze i was with my 2 hands on a pipe wrench 24 inches long to make it turn....won't that damage the engine?

fr0st

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Most engines have a specific bolt type puller designed for them. I fill the cylinder with rope and when the rope compresses, the engine won't turn. Then I use an air ratchet to turn the puller-bolt until the sheave half comes off. I've never needed THAT much force to take one off.

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im telling you, im with 2 hands on this thing...

another option im thinking is maybe get the OTHER clutch opened and juste put the front sections with rollers and spring and all on the existing one that i can't take out.. can i just screew the other part on it and leave it there?

fr0st

·
Administrator
18,404 Posts
The clutches are balanced from the factory, if you use the outside of one clutch and the inside of another clutch, it may be very UNbalanced and cause damage to your crank bearings

If you can get the puller bolt out, try squirting 5-6 pumps of grease inside the hole vacated by the puller and then try taking it off again. The grease will exert some hydraulic force as you tighten the clutch puller and help you get the clutch off. The rope in the spark plug hole works very well, just make sure you don't slide the rope down into the ports of the cylinder.

I have used grease in the hole to take off several VERY stubborn clutches and I was able to take 'em off with just regular effort and hand tools.

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
good call on the grease dan, i've never done it but the power of hydraulics is amazing. How bad is it to clean up, im sure one day i'll be stuck doing it.

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
ok,

heres the deal, i got the puller out of there. but i cannot get some grip on the clutch since the roller and spring part. the part athat usually closes on the other saucer is off.. so im stuck with no grip i CAN get the puller in but i cannot hold on to the back saucer and and screw it in...unless i use the rope in the cylinder.

with that, im scared of damaging the engine. you see, when i was screwing the puller in, i had a 24 inch pipe wrench and i was on it with my 2 hands and working up a sweat..i was pulling HARD...now with that much effort, if i put a rope in the cylinder, won't i damage a bearing, rod or something?coze it not, thats the way i will do it. :)

to show you what i have thats left on is this

http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/Parts/SNOWMOBILE/1989/1989PANTERA(440LC)(0650-062-1989)/DRIVECLUTCH.htm

dont click on the link it won't work.. you have to copy/paste it

check out part number 1 , top left corner.. the reste unscrewed
:eek:

coze it not, thats the way i will do it. :)

sorry i dont know it's i can post a link here but it's for help only.

fr0st

·
Administrator
18,404 Posts
If this is a Comet clutch, and all that is left on your crankshaft PTO end is the inner sheave, using a puller wont' work. The puller uses threads in the spyder of the outer sheave as a push point. When you thread the puller bolt in, it pushes on the end of the crank and uses the threads in the outer sheave as leverage to get the clutch off.

I would inspect the outer sheave for damage, the spyder on the clutch is normally NOT something that comes undone; it is usually loctited on with high strength loctite and torqued 200-220 lbs/foot of torque.

If it is not broken, you will have to put the outer part of the clutch back on the inner to get the inner off.

I would take the outer cover off the outer sheave and see if the nut on the spyder will thread back together. If you do that, be aware that the spring pressure may make the cover fly off forcefully. To minimize that, you can loosen the 6 bolts holding the cover on evenly. There may be enough residual spring pressure to make the cover fly off, so be aware. An extra set of hands to help hold it can be helpful, or the use of a clutch press eliminates that problem. After you get the spring out, you can thread the spyder back ON the inner sheave, reassemble the outer clutch, and see if you can use the clutch tool with the grease to remove the whole thing.

If it is broken, you may have to have it cut off with a torch.

Cazwell, the grease inside the clutch is not usually too difficult to clean up, (with the clutch off, you want to give it a good cleaning anyway) but I take the time to clean as much as i can out of the threads in the crank as well. I spray WD-40 in the crank threads to get most of it out and then spray the WD-40 out with compressed air.

·
Administrator
18,404 Posts
This was bugging me, so I went out and looked at a 6-post AC clutch in the garage and grabbed my AC puller to see how it works. The end of the fixed (inside) sheave IS threaded, you should NOT have to put things back together to get it off with a puller.

I am thinking that perhaps the taper for the puller is incorrect, I am posting a pic of my A/C puller for a 1990 prowler and the old style 6 post clucth.

If your puller does not have the correct taper, it may not be making contact with the crank end. If it looks like this, squirt some grease in there and try 'er again.

hope that helps...

Attachments

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
BC_Dan

ok your explanation is very clear. but i inspected the threads and they have no damage at all. as for the puller it was machined by a firend of mine at his shop, copying the new one (kimpex) i bought for the other clucth...the prowler 91 clutch i bought. which suposedly fits right on... i hope..either way i have to take it out so..

curiously the puller does not fit at all in the clutch on my pantera..the diameter for the puller is not the same, it's smaller. so i had do get another puller and a friend offered me to machine me one and taking mesures on the clutch orifice..and he's normally good at it.... now i know that MAYBE the machined puller might now be good..you never know.. so im buying one this week. to make sur... a real one and make no mistake.

as for reputting the font end of the clutch on back it will not hold on when i try to screw the puller in.. it will unscrew again. and it was my ONLY grip i had on it in order to keep it still while screwing the puller in.

if i find the right puller, can i do the rope in the cylinder routine? or is it too dangerous of damaging the engine?

Fr0st

·
Administrator
18,404 Posts
The only problem you may have using a rope through the spark plug hole is if you get too much rope in there and it goes into the intake or exhaust ports instead of on top of the piston. If that happens, the piston will act as a guillotine and will either cut the rope and send parts of it into the crankcase or possibly damage the port bridges. Don't stuff too much rope in the piston, you just need enough so that there is enough to keep the crankshaft from going over top dead center. 3-4 inches should be plenty enough to put in there.

I use nylon rope to do this, it seems to "squish" better than hemp.

Hope that helps, good luck!

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i went to a dealer to order a new puller.. it's 62$ and i will use it ONCE... coze the clutch im installing on it needs another kinda.. which i have already.. so i decided to inspect why the puller a friend of mine machined for me did't work.. it did copy the other one i have in lenght and looks.. juste a diffrent size of thread..well suposedly.. conclusion , the puller didin't reach the crank.. it was too short and thus, got the clutch "unscrewed".. so now he's making me a 2.0 version of the puller with one inch longer at the tip... so now it will reach and push on the crank...gonna try that this weekend with some GREASE of course :)

and i'll let you know if it's a success...or be back for some more questions :)

thanks guys ( for so far) heheheh

fr0st

1 - 15 of 15 Posts