Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need help with my 2000 powder special 600 efi i have no fuel in the upper hose to the efi plenty in the lower half. I am new to the tech sleds ( first one not 20 yrs old...lol) any help will be great!

Thanks to all
Brady

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
Well one is the supply and is under presure (be carefull) the other is just a return. As RJ asked does it run? Why are you into it?
Assuming it doesn't run the pump will only supply presure when you pull it over fast enough, and on a inline gauge it should be 30-35# and hold. If not you could have a blown fuse, a bab smart valve (water soaked) or bad pump?
Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it runs only if i put fuel directly in the cylnders, do you know where i can check for the fuse? no fuel comes out of the line even when disconnected and turned over. i ran like a swiss watch last year for the whole 100 miles i put on it and started as reciently as August when i did a pre season check. then i tried to get it to go a few weeks ago and no go. i appreciate the help!!!!

Brady

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
Did you get an owners manual? The smart valves are in the tank. Once your sure it's the pump, take the cowling off and the bars(makes this easyer) there is a rectangular plate, the pump and valve all come out , be carefull and take your time getting that unit out. But likely it isn't the pump, Check your wireing and switches first. You do get spark right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no owners manual, can i jump 12 volts across the pump to check? there is a harness with one red and one black wire i assume this is the jump points. yes i get a great spark! how do i check the smart valve if the pump checks out? thank you again i am very greatfull for the help here!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I jumped the 12 volts across and got a small thump but no fuel is this the pump then or would i get no noise with a bad pump? can anyone tell me more about the smart valves and would they cause this? where would the fuse be?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The smart valves are the screen pickups (16 and 27 below in pic) in the tank mounted to the fuel pump that stops the pump from draining back.
I have seen them stick and stop the fuel flow.

1998 and 99 pumps are square and held in with screws.
2000 and newer pumps are round and held in with a hollow
threaded ring like a gas cap.
Pull it apart and spray the valves with carb cleaner and take a screwdriver handle and tap on them lightly, spray and tap several times.

If the valves are "gunked" closed,the pump will not run.

take and run the pump with a 12 volt DC power source and keep tapping the valves and it should take off.
Once you get the pump to spin, put it back in the tank
and hook all your lines back up and use the power source
to "prime" the pump. After it starts to load, hook the wiring back up and the sled should start and run.
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
The 99 or 98 I worked on the fuse was in a holder just above the chain case. ( 5 amp ) ?
I had the fuel pump out of a 95 Pantara and it had I think 4 wires (fuel gauge) Yours should have just two you can put 12v to it and see if you get an out put, if you do then it could be maybe a stator? Or a bad ground? Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
kccats said:
The 99 or 98 I worked on the fuse was in a holder just above the chain case. ( 5 amp ) ?
I had the fuel pump out of a 95 Pantara and it had I think 4 wires (fuel gauge) Yours should have just two you can put 12v to it and see if you get an out put, if you do then it could be maybe a stator? Or a bad ground? Good luck!

I have never seen a fuse in a batteryless efi sled, The older battery type were fused.
The is one fuse in a holder that is a 7.5 amp by the chaincase, but it is for the solenoid on the electric start.

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
If it has electric start is the battery dead? or low? Start there, Not sure on 2000 but the older ones if it has a batery it may need a full charge to activate the pump. Before all this started when you turned the key on and the kill switch was on did you hear the pump cycle?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will try this tomorrow as the weather her is awefull today, thank you so much i hope this works!! It is not electric start, and is the battery-less system. i never have heard the pump ever when it was running just 2 pulls when it was cold and it would fire right up! one when it was warm never have pulled it more than 3 times to start until this problem. i will let you know as soon as i try it to let you knowhow it worked!

Thanks again,

Brady

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's running again!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the help!!! I removed the pump, cleaned the valves with carb cleaner still didn't work, tapped the pump still nothing. jumped the pump backwards (reversing the pos.and neg) pump worked great backwards, hooked it up standard again worked great, ran more carb clean in it put it back in, primed her up like you said, put everything back together and whamo she roared to life on 2nd pull and have put 25 miles on her with no issue...knock on wood! couldn't see any dirt or obstructions or water so hope it is fixed for good!! thanks again to all for the input you all are GREATT!!!!

Brady

·
King of the Universe
6,674 Posts
Another satisfied customer!!:thumbsup:
Great job, kccats & snow800!!:thumbsup: That's why I love this place!;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I need help with my 2000 powder special 600 efi i have no fuel in the upper hose to the efi plenty in the lower half. I am new to the tech sleds ( first one not 20 yrs old...lol) any help will be great!

Thanks to all
Brady

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a artic cat powder special 500 and I go out to try and start it and it goes for about a second then dies I got new hurl injectors and now I’m wondering if the fuel pump it bad one card get fuel and the other doesn’t what should I do?

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
Welcome
I have worked on alot of Cat EFI's
Start your own thread
Most likely you may be getting too much fuel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts