Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all new here, i`ve been reading a while just never registered, but now i need some help.. i bought a 98 polaris indy 600 xlt limited this fall, the sled had 470 miles on it when i picked it up and now has 630. my problem is while riding tonight the front drive axle in the track snapped right in half!!!:eek: so i guess i have two questions, 1) what would cause this, it looks to be a pretty heavy hunk of solid square stock. and 2) how much of a job is this? this is the first sled i`ve had since the early 80`s so it`s been a while for a project like this. i have been noticind a small vibration for a while when i let off the gas and started coasting, from maybe 5 to 10 m.p.h. on down. i greased everything up after i picked it up and everything looked ok, atleast to me? thanks for any help.... great site!!!! also whats this wound going to cost me if you have a ballpark figure...thanks Rich

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
SOUNDS TO ME LIKE THE BEARING GOT RUSTED FROM SITTIN' AND EVEN WITH THE GREASE JOB THE BEARING GOT HOT AND HEATED THE SHAFT. CHANGING THE SHAFT IS NOT TOOOO BAD OF A JOB, YOUR LOOKIN' AT A COUPLE OF HOURS START TO FINISH. MAKE SURE THAT YOU REPLACE ALL THE BEARINGS AS LONG AS YOU GOT IT APART TO PREVENT HAVIN' TO TEAR IT APART AGAIN IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

GOOD LUCK!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts