Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a new sled, currently I ride a 2001 Polaris Indy 500. I was looking at getting a new Polaris switchback assault. There is a nice 2020 SBA with 400 miles for 13k or I can get a new one for about 16k. Coming from such and old sled, would I notice a difference from axys to matrix. I like the 2021s with the new 7s but that extra 3 grand seems like a lot and if I were to get a brand new one I’d wait until the 22-23 winter. Is the 2020 worth getting for this winter or should I wait two years to save some more and get a new one. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
Depends on your wants. If you want something that is great and new and shiny then wait. If your buddies all ride Polaris Assaults then get that one. The idea is that whoever you ride with if you have a similar sled then everyone is in the same riding style and group fun. I've found that the best method over the years.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
If you are hesitant wait till winter time, a LOT of dealers do a "weekend testing session" of the new snowmobiles where you can take them out on a course to test them, try them and see which one fits your riding style. Not every dealership does it but I know in my area usually 2 of them do so usually every few years I go and take a few for some test rides, might as well its free and only costs me time, the gas to get there and bringing along my helmet and a decent coat & gloves. Not like I am going out on a 2 hour ride but maybe 15 minutes or so on each snowmobile with a break now and then as usually several people show up. That is how they sell a lot of them around here and it works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ll have to see if they have one of those this winter. I really like the assaults on the matrix platform with the 7s display. I’ve been applying for a second job during the summer to get some more money saved up. It’ll be a big purchase for a 16 year old.

·
Registered
26,187 Posts
I have lived my entire 60 + years with the idea of
If you really want something save up for it!
I have been fortunate enough through the years to buy fairly new rides
I have found that a year or two old sled has a much better value than new!
Also give the chance to work out the bugs!
If you get the 2 year old or so sled then you may like this years sled or next years even better!

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you see something you like, summer is the time to buy. Used sled prices will be high again this fall/winter. Most dealers will not have a good selection of sleds on the showroom floor this winter. Not sure on Polaris, but the spring orders maxed out dealer allotments for Ski Doo dealers. Many will not be getting many if any floor models for the upcoming winter. It will all depend where in the snowbelt you live.

Coming from an older sit down and back riding position, I don't think you will notice any difference between the axis and matrix. You will be getting adjusted to the new style stand up, rider forward riding position. It took me most of my first season to really get adjusted to it when I made the switch a few years ago.

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
If you were my son, I would suggest you spend about $3000 on an IQ 600 and save the rest for your future. The difference in ride quality is really significant between the 500 you are riding and the IQ. Then stick that extra $10,000 in the bank and have a good start at life when it sneaks up on you in a couple of years. Spending your total savings on a toy would not be something I would ever recommend to anyone...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts