Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while changing up my chaincase oil and re-tensioning the chain. I was looking around and noticed some things that I did not like.

1. I have a small anti-freeze leak that of course I will have to find a gasket for.

2. around the exhaust manifold, (if that is what you call it on a snowmobile) one of the ports appears to be leaking. Here is the problem with this one though, It is not just a charred black appearance like most exhaust leaks, but rather an oily black. Is this just a simple exhaust leak or is there somthing else wrong here. I am assuming that since this is a 2 stroke instead of the normal 4 stroke cars that I work on, the engine doesnt burn as efficiently and that the oil is just unburned gas and oil mix. Is this true or should I be a little bit more worried than I am. Should I just re-tourque the exhaust bolts or should I replace the gasket anyway?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Answear to #2. Definately retorque the Manifold bolts. It is natural for a 2 stroke to have a oily leak vs a 4 stroke has a much more dry/cleaner burn for reasons you mentioned with oil & gas.
The leak is typical, the manifold bolts have a tendancy to vibrate loose if not watched closely, no big issue if its a small leak. As far as the gasket, you can get a gasket kit, or just through some RTV on it & put it on the storage to-do list to replace the gasket. Either way should fix the problem.

Definately fix the anitfreeze leak ASAP. Is it coming from the hose that runs by the chaincase, or did you just notice a puddle in the bottom of your belly pan? Is your resovoir at a exceptable level, do you have to continuously add fluid?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is kind of hard to explain where the leak is coming from. Let me explain a little. Where the fuel pump is located there is a large metal cover of some sort. Under this cover there is a place where the hoses go into somthing. I honestly dont even know what it is. Possible the point which the coolant leaves the block? It appears that it might just need a new gasket. But I may tear it appart soon. If anyone has and engine picture of an xlt or xcr engine like this i will point you out a picture of where it is.

Otherwise I will just start tearing appart the engine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There should be a hose connecting to the heat exchanger located in the front of the tunnel. The exit may also be close to the same place, or on the other side of the tunnel, close to teh motor mount which is below the left side (PTO) carb.

When you pull that hose, you may drain most of the coolant out of the system so be prepared with lots of paper towels or something to dry the floor.

Have fun !

WP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts