Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, As many of you may have seen I was asking about whether or not I should stud my sled. Anyway I did stud it. 120 down the center belt to be exact.

Dont get me wrong it did help the track grab quite a bit. But I was kind of hopping for more. I was looking at maybe adding 24 more but was thinking about the fact that it really wouldnt make a difference. That would be like putting 8-10 more studs on the ground at one time which isnt many. Should I step up to 48 more to equal a total of 168? To me that seems like a lot of metal and holes in the track. That would get around 18-20 more studs on the ground considering that only 40 percent of the studs are on the ground at one time. What is the best route to go for more traction. Or am I about maxed out on the traction that I can get?

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
not sure how polaris sets up their rear suspensions...but ......

you might want to look to see if there is a limiter strap towards the front of the rear suspension.......it may be too tight and your not getting enough transfer to make the studs work

what kind of snow were you riding in after the install??

ive got 144 in my sled and it hooks up great in hard pack. but on clean ice i get alot of track spin, also in powder obviously. also on ice and hardpack, turning is an issue, sled has a terrible push in these conditions, even with 8" carbides and a fairly tight strap

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The snow was pretty hard packed so I know it was hard enough to grip somewhat. I was looking for the adjustment on the front limiter strap. The manual says that there is an adjustment but I cant find anything to lengthen or shorten the strap like it says to do. My dad just replaced the straps last year, Now I am thinking that maybe he got straps that are not adjustable or not made for that sled.

Anyway do you have any other suggestions

·
Registered
46 Posts
what kind of sled is it? a buddy of mone has a 99 xcsp 600 and i believe that on his sled, its like a "screw jack" type set up(racecar). im pretty sure that all he does is wind the straps tighter, but im not exactly sure.
other thing may be there might be too much ski pressure(front shocks), but that wont have anything to do with weight transfer.
only other thing i can tell ya is to find someone here with better knowledge of your suspension type, or call a repair shop or dealer and ask them where and what adjustments to make.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think I am going to play around with the suspension adjustments first. And also add 24 more studs. ONe thing that I do like about my sled is the fact that the lugs are smaller. Only .750 and yes I know that this affects the grip a lot but I realized that this track needs to be studded. I think that the track might have almost been made for this. Because of the shorter studs that I am able to use there is less pressure on the track. I dont want to put on another track either so I guess I will just have to live with it and hope that 24 more and a few adjustments will do me some good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How much past the track is the studs sticking out?120 should be plenty for that sled.if they only stick out 1/4 ,you should have gone the next size up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the track is .75 but I guaruntee that it is worn down a few hundredths. Maybe even .70 now. The studs are .875 so do the math. Plus they stick out just a little bit more than that because the head is burried a little bit below flush with the track.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well just for the sake of trying it I went and bought 24 more studs to try that out. If that doesnt work I think I will just live with it. This way I have 144 studs instead of 120 anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts