Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am about to buy my first ski doo. I am 5ft9 and 190 pounds. I am really interested in the formula s 380 (short track) or the touring 380 (long track) from the 90's.

I would only be riding on my 52 acres wood land on wich I have 1.75 km of trails. My trails are not that large (7-8 feet wide), so I would not see a super big, long, heavy snowmobile there.
I would never get off my trail.

We only get 2 feet of snow depth by the end of winter. I would run my trail every week end from the start of winter. There would never be more than 30-40 cm of new snow. There is two small hills maybye 15 feet high with no more than 20 degrees angle.

I am in the dilemna of the long track vs the short track. I find the short track interesting because the ski doo is only 107 inches long, the touring is probably 10-12 inches longer( I am not sure I can't find all the specs) and 20-25 pounds heavier. But at the same time, I don't know if I would get stuck all the time.

I would also give rides to my 6 years old son and sometimes pull him with a pelican sleigh.

What would make more sense?
Thanks

·
Administrator
19,352 Posts
The Touring should have a bit longer seat, which would make carting young ones around a bit easier. Neither sled is a powerhouse, but both could do what you want to do on your property. For non-groomed trails, you may want the one with the longer track if that's an option... on Polaris, the 2-up sleds have a bit longer track, not sure on Skidoos...

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
You'll have more fun on the short track as long as you're not going through deep snow.

I remember back in the 90's we had a family gathering and we had about 5-6 machines, one was a Formula SS 380 that nobody wanted to ride because they just got stuck all the time. I got on it and had an absolute blast on it, Just kept the throttle pinned while going through deep snow (3'-4'). But then again, this is the same gathering that we had an old Nordic wide track and everyone thought it was a tank and didn't really know how to have fun on it, I had a lot of fun making trails and plowing through drifts on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts