·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a used snowmobile to get back in the bush. I would like:
  • able to break trail through deep snow
  • light
  • 2 up seat
  • good pulling power for pulling a sled, say a barrel of fuel in it.
I don't care much about groomed trails or speed but need something that I can use for hauling and occasional grandkid rides. I am looking for advice and would like something for around $2000.What should I be looking for?
Thank you

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I'd get a Skandic WT or SWT for the job. #1 freight sled in Alaska has been the Skandic for years. Nothing comes close to it.
Skandic WT with the 550F motor, somewhere around 1997-2002. You'll be really happy with it.

·
Super Moderator
62 Posts
Something with a wide track and a fan cooled engine. Most likely a utility machine. $2000 may be a tough find unless you go out of a bush area for one.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd get a Skandic WT or SWT for the job. #1 freight sled in Alaska has been the Skandic for years. Nothing comes close to it.
Skandic WT with the 550F motor, somewhere around 1997-2002. You'll be really happy with it.
Thanks. Not many out there. Do you think a 380 is big enough or will it be too hard on the engine and transmission? Small loads of wood are all I would pull once the trail is made.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something with a wide track and a fan cooled engine. Most likely a utility machine. $2000 may be a tough find unless you go out of a bush area for one.

Steve
You are right about the price. In looking around $2000 is the very bottom for anything in decent shape and most look like they have been used hard. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I think the 380 would be too small. I have a 380 and can pull up to around 700 lbs in a sled before it just struggles, and I have to be really careful not to go off the hard pack trail. About 400 lbs if there is 3-4" of snow.

I have pulled a toboggan sled with 25 gallons of gas in it along with gear. It did okay, but the trail was near perfect.

Unfortunately, people that buy Skandics usually are the ones that keep them forever, so you don't see many come to market.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts