Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a cheep track. Can be non usable cause im just going to be wrapping it around my quads tires for tracktion cause i use mx tires and last year i couldnt even get down the ploud road so i need a cheep used track and it can be broke or w/e too.

·
King of the Universe
6,674 Posts
dobbs said:
.....how do you plan to secure these new skins?
With more stickers, duh!!:laugh:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Would drill holes through the tire into the track then i would slip bolts in through the inside of the tire and then bolt it down tight. Then i would put some carpet or rubber in teh inside of the tire and run a tube.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can get it free out of dumpsters but that wouldnt be till a couple months probably and i want to make snow tires now.

·
www.315er.net
703 Posts
Are you going to bolt some ski's to the front?

Have you considered that if changing the profile of an ATV tire to that of a sled was all it took to make an
ATV work in the snow some tire mfgr would have done it by now? Also, on a sled you have several FEET of track in contact with the ground, while on your ATV you have a round wheel with INCHES of contact. The tire is still going spin when you strap the track on, you haven't changed how much tire contacts the ground enough to make a diff.

Of course i could be wrong and i like a clever project just as much as the next guy so I think you should go for it. Just stay off the trails.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Go to a dealer, and ask them. Many of them have old throw-away tracks laying around.

While we're on the subject, I saw one club using a quad as a groomer two seasons ago. They had a second set of tires on it, behind the rear tires. It was a real nice setup... sort of like idlers. They had a track running around the two sets of rear tires. It ran pretty well, even pulling a fairly large drag. We passed him once, but had to help him get it un-stuck on the way back. :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'd like to get them big tracks for my grizzly, i know most of you have seen them, there quite expensive. I think the track around the tire would be good, as long as you got a track with studs and dont ride on pavement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to go to the dealer and get a junk track but they probably wouldn't have any till winter.

Their is paddle tires for quads. Thei made for sand and paddle and through big roost's but the paddles are spaced to far away for snow use so they just dig holes in snow.

Theirs 2 paddle tires made for snow. 1 is to big for my quad cause it comes in size 22 and as you gain speed it expands 40% making it a 30" tire.
The other paddle tire is a really good one and is alot like a snowmobile track but they charge over $100 per tire so thats why i want to make my own.

I was thinking. If i cut the track and then took all the air out of the tire and wrapped teh track around the flat tire and then used 2 brackets to hold the track to geather in a wround circle and then inflated the tire the track would stay on the tire instead of me needing to bolt it down. Think it would work?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dobbs said:
Are you going to bolt some ski's to the front?

Have you considered that if changing the profile of an ATV tire to that of a sled was all it took to make an
ATV work in the snow some tire mfgr would have done it by now? Also, on a sled you have several FEET of track in contact with the ground, while on your ATV you have a round wheel with INCHES of contact. The tire is still going spin when you strap the track on, you haven't changed how much tire contacts the ground enough to make a diff.

Of course i could be wrong and i like a clever project just as much as the next guy so I think you should go for it. Just stay off the trails.
I wont be putting ski's opn the quad but their is a kit that alows me to if i wanted. Theirs front tires made for the sand and their totaly smooth but down the middle of the tire their is a line that comes up about hlaf inch all the way around the tire and that would work like ski's but i dont need front tires but differant fronts would be good for me cause my tires are really small and skinny so they end up going under the snow instead of above.

I want my tires to be able to spin still so i can through huge roosts i just want grip so i can drive this winter.

I cant go on trails any ways cause my quads illigal to take on trails winter and summer. Its set for racing only.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dobbs said:
what makes it illegal to ride in the summer?
Way to loud. Its about 15-20dbs quieter than a jet. And it can blow flames out the muffler.

You cant buy a 4 wheeler with as much power as mine. They never built a quad like mine. Its a hybrid yo uhave to pritty much build it. The quad costed $5000 used and then i put over $7000 in to it. It was a honda but now it gots a yamaha motor.
In order to get a 450cc race quad fast as mine you have to full mod the motor and change the exhaust system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dobbs said:
if you have $12,000 to dump in a toy why cAn't you afford a sled?
Got 2 i dont like em their not enough fun to me. And like im 16.:eek:

·
Registered
477 Posts
if ur quad is soooo fast, how come the pros dont run hybrids anymore?

and for the track idea that involes inflating tires, i doubt it would work. rear tires have such a low air pressure that it couldnt hold on. what ive seen done is too physically bolt a track on and run those tire balls. if you do mx, u know what tire balls are. and seriously how loud is ur quad? my sled is around 105 db last time i got metered. my quad is 92 db, its meets the AMA limit for db's. what kind of pipe u got on that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
shawnyD said:
if ur quad is soooo fast, how come the pros dont run hybrids anymore?

and for the track idea that involes inflating tires, i doubt it would work. rear tires have such a low air pressure that it couldnt hold on. what ive seen done is too physically bolt a track on and run those tire balls. if you do mx, u know what tire balls are. and seriously how loud is ur quad? my sled is around 105 db last time i got metered. my quad is 92 db, its meets the AMA limit for db's. what kind of pipe u got on that?

Pros dont ride hybrids no more cause 450s are out. They modd the motors and then their fast as hybrids so it wouldnt make sence to do it. You can make a 450 fast as a hybrid but its going to cost over $1000 in motor work.
Like a yfz450 quads motor vs the yz450f bike motor. Totally differant.
Quad motors are detuned to make them rider friendly.

Im not getting tire balls. It ccost $250 per tire and i would buy a tube. Ill probably just bolt the track down and run a tube.

My quad is right around 130dbs. If i turn my head back it hurts my ears. at about only 3000rpm its over 102dbs. I have a full exhaust system and i run a shorty and i took out the packing and wrapped the core in aluminum so their is nothing to quiet it down and the higher RPM you go the louder it gets and my quad revs about to 13,000 rpm.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
It's not going to matter what you do for traction - as soon as the snow is over a foot deep, you're not going anywhere. ATVs just weren't made for snow. If you can't keep it on top, you're going to get stuck. Unless you can find some hard packed trails (wheeled vehicles are illegal on snowmobile trails in NY state) where you go will always be dictated by snow depth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rgoers said:
It's not going to matter what you do for traction - as soon as the snow is over a foot deep, you're not going anywhere. ATVs just weren't made for snow. If you can't keep it on top, you're going to get stuck. Unless you can find some hard packed trails (wheeled vehicles are illegal on snowmobile trails in NY state) where you go will always be dictated by snow depth.

In the part of WI im in their is never a foot of snow. Utility quads can to go through 1ft of snow but sport/race quads cant. Their is no trails for quads in winter here in WI.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts