Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 formula 3 and was getting wear on the inside middle of the track, With little help from "01mxz800" I found a bad shock bushing and I think the bracket that the shock mounts to was bent. this is all on the front shock bottom. Before I fixed it I tried sliding some washers under the mount and found that I only had 1/8' clearance between bottom of shock and track. after the repair I now have 1/4' clearance. I did not know what the bracket was supposed to look like so I just made it straight. It would be a great help if someone with a similar sled could tell me what they have for clearance so I can tell if I have fixed the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ill measure mine tomarrow while im out by my sled. If its the factory suspension, itll be the same as mine up till 99 i think. Just need to know key points you want measured and ill do it then post by 9pm central. Hope i can help. You should have more clearance than 1/4 inch there incase of track deflection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is stock and the only place I need is between the bottom of the front shock and the track, My slides are almost down to the wear line but I thought a 1/4 inch was a little tight too,

·
Registered
275 Posts
You need to yank that suspension and giv it a once over. 1\4 of an inch is way low. Sorry i didnt get back yesterday and was late today, but had a limiter strap go on me and i didnt want to give you the wrong measurement. Even a 1\2 is not to good considering on a bumpy trail, it will colide with the shock easily. Even with my strap broke, i could still get my hand in between there so you might have to go through it, but having your hyfax that low will also make it that much closer to the track. Try that first and make sure nothing is cracked or broke or bent on the suspension and then see and let me know. Im getting mine ready for the weekend so i can let you know a little more on how it should sit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when I had the shock out I looked over everything pretty good and could not find any other problems that would make the bottom of the shock lower. the only thing I can think of is I did not bend the bracket for the shock back to its original position. It is hard to see but the bottom edge of the support that the lower shock is mounted to is now straight on my sled. It would be a big help if you could let me know if yours has a noticeable bend upward. no local dealer has one in stock to compare it too. I dont mind buyimg a new one I just want to be sure that this is the problem

·
Registered
275 Posts
They are 52 dollars here for me... part number 503163900. That bracket should not be bent at all and i have over an inch in between the track and that tower. BUT, if you removed the second set of idlers at any time, it will sag, like mine did, and give you the 1/2 inch room with new hyfax. I didnt realize it till i couldnt figure where the 2 nuts for the second set of front outer idlers went and i just got new ones to find that problem happened to mine just like yours. The pressure from the shock pushes the lower shock bracket down which in turn lifts the back part of the braket up and you wont even notice it.Then when you reinstall the idlers with a nut on the back you wont even tell. The bracket is threaded in the back part, the bolt for that idler actually threads into it to hold it in place and lift the front part of the shock up from the track. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Looks like the same on a 99 too! Part numbers change with the year to get more money. Try looking up a 144-4353 belt once for that sled. 9 or more different belt numbers for various years BUT the same part to the exactness. Now tell me if 1\8 inch is enough clearance. Somewhere you dont have something right or something is bent just enough to not notice it. Besides, even them idlers have different part numbers for every year but are all 135mm wheels, unless you run 141mm like me and that gives you an additional 1\4 inch extra lift off the hyfax.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts