Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulling the carbs off for the first time and new to sleds. I found enough guides and pics on here to give it a go. The sled will start and run about 50% of the time and is a beast to pull over so less pulls are better. Everyone and myself included has played with the carb settings so i dont know where i am as to where i should be. I looked and couldnt find anything on the settings. Its a 94 formula z rave with the 583. Any insight would be appreciated before i start thanks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
what is your temperature range and altitude that you operate it at?
the factory jets are 360 on each carb ,pilot jet is 50, needle is in the third position,
air screws are out 3/4 turn from lightly bottomed each. this info is for sea level ,
and is how the sled came , what 16 years ago, who is to say what is in it now .
give me the altitude you run at and i can update this info for you.
this info is out of the 1993-1997 high altitude info manual from bombardier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a little more then i understand right now but exactly what i was looking for. I believe im at sea level and by temps you mean outside im guessing and -5c to-15 c

·
Registered
315 Posts
the main jets (360) are in the center of the bowl (bottom) , the needle (3rd position) is in the slide ,that the throttle cable hooks to (accesed by taking off the top of the carb)
the pilot jet is in a bore in the bottom of the carbs , just to the side of the main jet .
the air screw is on the side of the carb. every 2 thousand feet above sea level the settings ,and or jets change , every 20 or so degrees in temperature the settings change . according to the bombardier service manual, jetting chart .
my 583 is a beast to pull over , from what i am told they all are! you get a pattern going on about how to start it ,
cold and hot . i.e....... when mine is cold three pumps on the primer, off she goes !! when she's hot , hold the throttle about 1/4 to half throttle , one good hard pull off she goes . they are all different , you will learn what
works for your engine !! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you thank you thank you. Now i think i have everything i need to figure this out without any hiccups. (I hope) I will of course check where all settings are before i play so at least it can go back to the way they are worst case. Im a bigger guy at 6'6" 220 and im a 2 hander to pull it if it needs to be held at 1/4 throttle like ive found works the odd time i have to get the wife to hold it. Thanks for the help happy sledding and great help from this forum as always!

·
Registered
315 Posts
i read somewhere about the newer (97,98) 583 recoil housings make it easier to pull them over( bigger diameter or something) . i can do mine (97) with one hand , but it is a beast !! might want to check into it ?? maybe make it easier for you ??
hope this helps ya , HAPPY SLEDDING :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.