Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I picked up this sled and covered it with a tarp. I got tired of covering it and uncovering and dealing with the tarp blowing off. So this fall, I built this A Frame drive through shelter. So far it survived two NorEaster's with 30 to 50 mph gusts!

Best of all, sled goes back in garage in late winter and this shelter gets torn down and put away until next winter.

Total cost, about $50 for the wood, tarp and bungees. I got the idea for the construction barrier.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks strong and I bet you never have to shovel it off. Do you have any cross-bracing on the sidewall?
No cross-bracing. I have the tarp stretched tight and held back with weighted jugs. There's some wiggle back and forth (not side to side) and that's typical with these. There is minimum weight at the top and the force is inward as the A's are leaning in.

All made from 2x4 pressure treated wood. The snow tends to fall off or blow off when there's wind. The other snow storm had a little more moisture and about an inch stuck to the tarp. Just tapped the tarp from the inside and it all fell off.

It's a lot easier now with a drive thru!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:thumbsup:
After looking at that, I can see a few improvements that would make it even better.
Open to suggestions! I'm not a carpenter or engineer, but know enough to bang together decks and stuff.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
X brace on the ends instead of that cross bar would give you more head clearance
A couple of X braces on the sides would also make it more sturdy.
Using the milk jugs full of water is a good idea.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
X brace on the ends instead of that cross bar would give you more head clearance
A couple of X braces on the sides would also make it more sturdy.
Using the milk jugs full of water is a good idea.
Good ideas! I'll do this off season as it's too difficult at the moment.

·
Registered
41 Posts
if you have kids, you could just convert it into a swing set after winter.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you have kids, you could just convert it into a swing set after winter.
Look real real close at the first pic. To the left of the wood piles is a swing set/play area. Look at the tree in the distance between A frame, you'll see ropes hanging for the swings. Actually looking to sell it at this point. May have some ideas for the A frame in the garden... not sure yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts