Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok 3 days ago I bought my first snowmobile. It is a 1985 Yamaha 440 SS. Th previous owner just put in new pistons. He seemed very reliable. There is 4,100 miles on it and looks to have had a pretty easy life. I am just wondering about any thing I could do to it to keep it reliable and cut future maint./repair costs. Any oil injection maint.? What type of oil should I run? Brand, synth. or not? The rear suspension seems to be lazy and low almost has a memory, meening it does not rebound like I think it should. Are there adjustents or maint. with rear suspension? Any links to good aftermarket parts sorces would be great. Thanks for any information.

Attachments

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
I run Yamalube at $28 a gallon. You should take the rear skid out and lube up the pivot shafts, check the shock, replace the idler bearings, and replace the slides.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
problem with the old ones is a parts supply. having similar part issues now.

maintenance is the key. check every bolt, hose , cable, etc and adjust, tighten, lube, etc.

use a quality oil. this may spark an open debate,but i have never had any issues with namebrand oils. but then i never use cheap oil either so i cant really compare. personally i prefer the smell of quality oil vs cheap oil.

your rear skid has adjustments that can enhance the ride quality. chances are the shocks have seen their prime and the springs are probably not far off if not already there.

pay attention to the hyfax, a minor investment will save you major dollars. check condition of the track drivers and the track as well.

i think the factory failed to put any grease zirks on the skid pivots. if your really bored, you can drop the skid, clean the crosshafts and add some low temp grease before reinstalling. that way you know the condition of the moving components.

keep the carb clean and use quality fuel, non ethanol if available. an occasional polish and clean and the sled will treat you well.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Great reliable sled. Not a big power house. They have a single carb and small ports but run forever! There still pretty quick for what they are. The only thing about owning a snowmobile is you need to know how to work on it or it will cost you. It sounds like your rear suspension needs some grease. The suspension is always the most under maintained parts of a snowmobile. Look for grease fittings and grease it up. If there aren't any then you need to take the suspension apart and grease it. This is very important if you want a nice ride. Inspect your shocks. Take them off if you can. They should be nice and stiff when you push down on the shaft and it should return slowly on its own if they are good. Your chain case would be next. I would pull the cover off inspect and clean that out real good and put new oil back in it. Most of the time the chain case gasket is reuseable. Next would be your clutches. Do a little research and learn how (cvt clutches ) work if you don't already know so you know how to look for wear. They need to be kept very clean. Use brake cleaner or some kind of contact non oil based cleaner. Never use grease or oil of any kind. Check your belt for wear. Look for glazing on the edges of the belt, and look for cracks and rolled over edges to. Make sure there is grease inside your front spindle tubes, inspect your tie rod ends for wear. Use a good quality snowmobile 2 cycle injector oil. My opinion is convert to synthetic. Thats up to you though.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Sorry yamadad4 i just added pretty much everything you did. I took so long typing you got to it before i did.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ride it! Don't let it set. Your sled looks great, don't let it rot away in the garage or barn. Everything the previous guys have told you is the norm. You can help yourself and your wallet by learning to do basic repairs and tune ups, but don't get in over your head. Ask and you shall get help, prior to attempting something that may not be necessary. Most of all have fun!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advise so far. I am going to address the rear suspension this weekend, maybe tonight. Is there a difference in 2 cycle oil? I mean is there one made for injection and one that is not? I poured in a quart of sears 2 cycle oil for the chainsaw premix. I will get that out of there and get something better. I here alot of people eliminating the oil injection and pre-mixing. Is this a good pratice? If not how can I keep my injection system alive and reliable. I do plan to ride this alot on our NYS trail system. I wish I did not need to ask all these questions. I feel like an idiot.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The more questions you ask the quicker youll learn to service your sled. The less time your sled will sit and more time riding. Yea id put something better in your oil tank. Yamalube. Bluemarble. Are few good brands and grades of oil. As far as injecting versus premix. I would inject. The carb is really not made for pumping oil thru. You would likely have to clean the carbs more often.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You will want to use "injector oil". I used arctic cat injector oil for my cat, then converted to amsoil synthetic injector oil and let me tell you what a difference. There was a difference in plug life, less smoke and what i believe was a little power increase. Sounds weird considering its just oil but its true. Synthetic is a little more expensive but to me its worth it. I have seen the inside of many snowmobile engines and i knew who was using good oil and who wasn't. Get that junk oil out of your sled. That stuff is premix only anyway. I would keep your oil pump on there. I have never known those pumps to ever go bad on your sled. Keeping it oil injected has many advantages. Theres nothing you need to do to maintanance the pump. Oh yeah, make sure your oil lines are in good shape to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts