Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just got my first sled a 2005 Polaris 600 Xc sp 50th.

I brought it home and took it for a ride and shortly after the oil light came up. So I checked the oil and it's not much left so I guess I need to add oil? I think it's best to do an oil change the the problem is I never down an oil change on a sled.

If anyone could walk me through the process that would be great. Also anything else I should do to the sled?

I noticed there is not much coolant left so can I just ad some or is it necessary to do a flush?

What about spark plugs? Should I replace? Also where do I get those? Dealer?

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Howdy and welcome. Snowmobile engines are traditionally 2 cycle. This means that the engine consumes oil with the gasoline to lubricate it's internal parts. Sleds have an oil injection system that does this for you, rather than mixing the oil directly with the gasoline like a weed eater or chain saw. You need refill the bottle when you refuel the sled. I personally prefer the Polaris VES gold oil. That 600 sp is a good little sled. The liberty 600 engine has variable exhaust or power valves. If you do not use a dedicated synthetic snowmobile oil, they like to stick. This is bad. It's a good idea to clean these every so often. Do not use cheap oil from the gas station. Always use a dedicated snowmobile oil. Long and short, cheap oil does not do well at the extreme ends of the temperature range that sleds see.

You will want to change the chain case oil though. Open the hood, on the right side of the machine you will find an aluminum chain case. Easy to find by the dipstick sticking out of it. That is the final drive to the tracks driveshaft. That model should have a drain plug that you can access from under the sled. Once again you should use a sled chain case oil. I like to drain the oil and remove the cover and clean everything out once a year to make sure everything is in good shape and ready to go before I refill it with fresh oil.

Always carry a spare belt, and a set of fresh spark plugs if you are gonna go very far. Two cycles engines sometimes foul plugs. You will learn about this. Hope this helps and Happy sledding!

·
Registered
259 Posts
That would be mix oil. No change required, just make sure you keep it full. As far as the coolant, top it off and keep an eye on the level and your temp. Plugs would depend on condition, but you can get replacements lots of places, not a dealer specific item. Congrats on the new sled.

Think Snow!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would replace the coolant if you are used to mechanical work. That is 15 year old coolant and is well past it's prime. Look online, there should be videos on how to do this.

There is a number on the spark plug. You can pick these up at most auto parts stores. If not, they can order them for you. If it is a NGK brand, stick with that brand.

Agree on high quality oil.

If your sled did not come with an owners manual, get one! There is a lot of great information in there that will answer most of your questions on how to take care of your new sled.

·
Super Moderator
17,198 Posts
The advice given above is spot on. Polaris specs Champion RN57YCC plugs, but the NGK BPR9ES plugs are an acceptable substitute. Make sure they are the P plug, as the electrode is a bit longer than the regular BR9 plugs and it puts the spark in the right spot in the cylinder. Most auto stores will carry one or the other, and you can also order them online at places such as https:www.denniskirk.com.

Polaris Gold is good oil, but can be a bit pricey, as you have to get it at the dealers. Any good synthetic 2-stroke oil rated for snowmobile use will work. I use Amsoil with good results. You will have to learn to remove the VES valves for cleaning as a maintenance item, as even with synthetic oil, they will get sticky over time. Easy peasy, sometimes you don't even need to replace the gasket (but have two on hand, just in case!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow thanks for all the great info. I got one more question would it harm to use some seafoam or other fuel system cleaner? I noticed it doesn't idle very smooth. Not sure if that's how a 2 stroke engine is supposed to idle but I noticed when in turn on the lights they flicker like the go from dimm to bright and dimm again like fast while idlling if you know what I mean??

·
Super Moderator
17,198 Posts
I use a half of a can of seafoam in all my sleds on the first fillup every season. It helps keep the varnish at bay. Good stuff. It won't clean a really dirty carb, but it will keep things clean that start clean, which saves you time and aggravation down the road.

What is the idle RPM? It could be set a bit on the low side... idle should be about 1500 on the Edge 600.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I believe you can just unplug it. My 1990 Cat I was able to just unplug it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts