Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys after testing and running the sled to find the noise i noticed my clutch was wobbling thinking it was a simple clutch bolt but ends up the crank broke or seperated is this common well here is my ? i want to find a drop in engine not a 500 what other motor will drop in and run with all mty electrical plug right in guys please help me with this one please i am not likeing this engine maintained great only 5000 klk and not beat on to have a crank be broken is this common help please

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
What year, make of sled? Do you know if it's broken or just out of true? Snowmobile cranks are pressed together in pieces, it's possible that you took a hit and knocked it out of true. You won't know until it's apart what exactly is wrong...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is a 1999 polaris classic 500 i dont no if it is broken i was told it was but engine is totaly together still il have to see

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what was the noise you heard? I just rebuilt the same sled and now i have a strange noise in the engine. Just wondering if its the same sound.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the noise was a high skretching noise that would smooth out at higher rpm till it let go so i advise to stop grab ahold of the clutch and give it a wiggle any play you have a problem either bearings or crank in my case its the crank so good luck now i need to no 2 things bottem end rebuid or i have a 600 xc twin i want to no can it adapt and plug in???

·
Registered
7 Posts
My noise is like a clattering sound...almost knocking. Polaris tech says piston slop. Clutch seems tight. Gonna have it bored out and bigger pistons. as for your dilema...I could be wrong, but i think the motor mount might be different. might take some modification. funny thing is, my crank snapped in two when it blew also.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can get any engine to fit and work. Just matters how much work you want to put into it. If your 500 is liquid cooled, and the 600 twin is liquid cooled. As long as you have everything for the 600, as in stator, cdi box, coils, clutch, carbs, and all that stuff. Then I would say go for it. You may have to redo your wiring harness but that isn't hard if you get a wiring diagram of your 500 and one for the 600. So you know which wires to connect to each other.

If the 500 is air cooled then you need the heat exchangers.

Oh and if you want to sell that 500 I maybe interested in it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i ended up doing a total rebuild top to bottom

wow the total rebuild almost cost me a $1000 but now its new but weird machine shop guy said that he had many polaris cranks the were twisted like that poor hardenung in the steel defect

1 - 10 of 10 Posts