Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fixed up a 96 Indy 500 classic Touring this summer. Rebuilt the chain case , fuel pump, bored and hone the cylinders .02 oversized and added appropriate pistons and rings. Got it all together and have it so that it start great.
my problem is that when I have the back end lifted up I can rev it up to 6500 rpms. The track kicks in at about 4000 rpms. This is my first sled so to me it looks fine. When I drop it down and try to run it, it bogs down. It revs up to the point of engaging the track, but as soon as the track kicks in, the engine bogs and the sled goes nowhere. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
18,297 Posts
How do the clutches look? Is the belt riding just outside the outside diameter of the secondary? If the belt is low in the secondary, that will cause a bog, similar to trying to take off in second gear in a car... check that first. There should be an adjuster ring on the outside of the secondary that you can turn to get the belt a bit higher.

Also check the side clearance in the primary. If it's excessive, you may be able to help that with a new belt.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BC_Dan for the welcome and input. The timing of your suggestion could not have been better. Just got a text from a buddy this morning saying that his boss gave him a secondary clutch for my machine. We are going to switch them out and see if it makes a difference. I will let you know the outcome.

What’s the rpm upper limit on the the 500 2 cylinder engines? Is it 6300-6500 as I’m seeing or should it be higher?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
1st the secondary clutch needs to be rebuilt now and then as well with new buttons and a new secondary spring as they wear out. Along with cleaning the helix, yours may or may not have the adjustment ring on the outside of the secondary clutch as it was hit and miss on those '95 & '96 Polaris sleds. We had some come in from dealer those years with and without them and it didn't matter the model or options on it.

Also upper RPM's on that engine should be around 8800-9000 at max. I have 2 of those Indy 500 engines and that is what they run at. I have both of mine clutched out with aftermarket springs & helixes along with plastic ski's which take about 20-30lbs off the front end which makes a HUGE difference in those sleds.

I have a '92 Indy 500 EFI Wedge and a '97 Indy 500 Evolved style and both run like that. Both have .91" tracks with 96 1" studs & 6" of carbides w/ plastic skis. While people can run away from me on the lakes, mine are built for trail riding. So is my '98 Indy 440 L/C and it too is setup the same exact way. Both fly on the trails.

I can help set yours up just like that if you want.

Welcome and enjoy your new toy! Idk where you are at but here in Northeastern Wisconsin we have had about 20 inches of snow since mid November of course some has melted and compacted but now we are getting another 4-6 inches tomorrow morning...The 15th can't get here QUICK ENOUGH! :D

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Check your compression.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone . I wanted to close the loop on this thread to let you know and others what was done to resolve my bogging issue.

Although I cleaned the secondary as you guys suggested, it was not the root cause.

When I took the secondary off, I decided to check a couple of other things. One of them was retesting if I had spark coming through the plugs. I did this a couple of weeks ago, and all was fine. This time however, it was not fine. The stator side had no spark. Somehow the wire shifted away from the plug, causing no electrical connection. When I pushed the wire back into the plug, the bogging disappeared. I’m embarrassed to say, I was running on one cylinder for the past couple of weeks and didn’t realize that was why I had no power.

When I finished cleaning the secondary and zipped everything up, I turned it on and she hummed. Took it up and down my street and got up to north of 7000 RPM’s before I decided I was going to fast and slowed down. It had room to go higher.

Thanks again for you help.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
thanks for closing this up. One note, the spark plug caps usually screw onto the wire. You might take the cap completely off, clip back about 1/8" of the wire and then screw the cap back on. I usually rub some WD-40 on the insulation to make it easier to twist.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts