Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have finally narrowed it down for my first sled. Its between 96'-98' MXZ 583 or ZR 580. I now a guy who has a shop. He has a 97' MXZ with a clutch kit, new track and plastic skis for$2200. And found a 96' ZR 580 EFI for $1500. Wich is better as far as motor, suspension? Also I don't know much about sleds yet so wich is better EFI or a carb. Thanks

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
EFI is better, though on older sleds it may not be the best thing, since it's much harder to fix than a carb.

Both are good sleds, but I'd go with the ZR :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
I might be a little biased cause I have a cat, but the ZR 580 is a pretty fun sled. The EFI is great as long as it is working right. The ZR's are quick and pretty light but I have never ridden the MXZ 583 so I really can't compare them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The 96 ZR does not have the ETT long travel and the EFI is not batteryless. You would be better off with the MXZ.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ZR better

ZR580 whith green hood have ETT and batteri less EFI
Many rider here in sweden change to ZR from just skidoo
When i bought my zr600-98 i have the MXZ670-98 i ride them
and ZR WON

·
Registered
217 Posts
thats a 98 the 96 are the old bodystyle and its hard for me to believe that 600 beat 670 mxz cause i saw that match up with my 2 buddies and the 670 won by quite a bit.

·
710 Posts
My 97 Cougar 550 would give my buddies 97 MXZ 670 a real good run. My 00 ZR600efi was side by side on a tuned MXZ 670 when mine was totally stock. My buddies 98 ZR600efi was side by side with a 98 MXZ 670. The 670 HO's went pretty good but the regular 670's weren't all that much. I was going to reply to this topic yesterday. I wouldn't recommend either sled, the ZR is pretty out of date even compared to the 97-98 year sleds. Alot of changes were made in those 2 years. The 580 was a pretty high strung engine from the factory and I have heard of alot of crank issues. I would look for a 99 ZR 500 or 600 if you could, these sell for around $2000-$2700 maybe even less if you can find a deal. Your not going to get a great deal from a dealer. Go onto hardcoresledder.com, amsnow.com, even check e-bay . You should be able to find a better deal on a sled near your area.

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
the firt mxz's are just built cheaply, just look at the primary it looks like its from a sled from the 70s. also the hood and windshild look dumb. Personaly I dont like rotax engines, reeds are way better

1 - 16 of 16 Posts