Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Wondering If anyone has any suggestions? Friends 2000 mxz 700 blew all the plastic out of the recoil, Now no spark, figure most of the crap went into magneto. Question is, How do I remove magneto? pulled the recoil out, pulled nut on center of "hub" covering magneto assy. can't budge the thing. Put a puller on center of shaft. didn't want to pull to hard. Do I need a special puller? or how do I do this? Sleds got 13k's on it,
Any help would be great
Thanks
dave

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
There are HUGE magnets on the flywheel to run the magneto, light coils, etc. Takes a pretty strong puller to take it off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. I put a big puller ( I build race car engines) for my harmonic, which is torqued to 120 lb pounds on a tapered shaft, and never had to to pull on anything so much. You think I should keep pulling on it? I'm just afraid of breaking something. Just figured maybe theyre was a trick or special puller like i have to use for yamaha dirt bike to get at the clutch. Thanks for the advice

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Is the flywheel on a keyed shaft? (That's what you're trying to remove, right, the flywheel?) Might want to call the dealer just in case....:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya it's on keyed shaft. and yea its the flywheel I'm trying to pull. Asked the dealer, they said they just pull em, no special puller. I just can't believe how tight it is. I'm afraid of breaking it with the puller. I pulled a balancer off a 302 last week that been on for 22 years,,wasn't half as bad as this one. Just don't wanna screw anything reaming it off that hard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a quick note to everyone offering advice..Tried every puller (automotive) possible..Ordered the magneto puller from bombardier..weird unit.. anyways worked like a charm..and only costs 20$,, wasted my time trying to cheap out. was worth a try, since I've found many ways of getting around similar things in the past..
Regardless, Thanks for the advice,,much appreciated. Will help in anyway I can.
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just mean it's weird unit because it had external threads at about 7/8 " to thread onto flywheel,,then 1/2 " bolt in center to push on crank.. I have all kinds of pullers, and nothing worked..figured a harmonic balancer puller (which all 3 holes line up with flywheel) and center pushing on crank center would do it,,no such luck..it's odd, but I guess it needs to pull from the middle not the outside..Then again, it's morris taper shaft and keyed..so it isn't falling off..damn morris tapers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Simple plate to pull magneto

For anyone else with this problem - I tried every puller imaginable.
Here's the simplest solution: Use a 3/8" steel plate with three M6 clearance holes in a triangular pattern to match the Pulley mount hole pattern. Roughly 68-70mm hole pattern. Place the flat plate across the end of the crank shaft and screw longer M6x30mm screws into the pulley mount holes. Tighten the screws equally (you may need a little force) until the magneto loosens on the shaft. Be careful not to run the screws in too deep after the magneto is loose because of the windings behind the magneto. Works slick and easy!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same Problem

Tighten the screws equally (you may need a little force) until the magneto loosens on the shaft. Be careful not to run the screws in too deep after the magneto is loose because of the windings behind the magneto. Works slick and easy!!
Pardon my interruption here, I have been trying to get my Magneto off and tried this solution. It 'popped' and is loose and moves about a 1/16 of an inch. I can wiggle it in and out and the shaft is stationary. But I can not get it off, it is like something is holding it back.

I can see a key on the side of the shaft and the notch is lined up, so good.
I can also see a white soft 6 inch ring around the thing and if the schematic for this magneto is correct then the teeth won't come past this white ring unless i really pull on it.

I wanted to check here first before I break something.

First sled ever! 72 Arctic Cat Cheetah 399

Thanks Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts