Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, am new to the forums and want to say HI and hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction.....
Was out lake riding yesterday on my 00 MXZ 700. after about 10 miles of playing on and off the beaten path i decided to get back on trail and open it up........this is where the problem begins.
was over 3 digits on speedo for approximately 1 mile when my tach went from 7800(approx) to 0. while is process of slowing down i glanced behind me.......no smoke, thats good. came to a stop, no smoke rolling out of hood....thats good. open hood and take a quick look, everything appears to be in order, gave it 3 pulls and not even a pop.......hmmmmm pulled the clutch side spark plug out, looked good, put my finger over the hole and pulled it over, has compression, reinstalled plug and did the same thing on the other side, and had compression........put that plug back in and tried to start it again, fired right up...woo hoo...then i hear this aweful grinding noise from in the motor and hit the kill switch right away. towed it home, ran compression check and have 125 psi in both sides. which leaves me to believe that a bearing somewhere went out. has anyone heard of the 700 twins having problems like this or is it just a fluke that this happened to me??? any ideas on what its going to cost to fix? what would be the cause of this?? buddy of mine thinks it ran lean on that side which could have caused it. i dont think so myself though. would i be better off getting a used motor from a salvage yard?? or fixing what ive got and hope it dont happen again.
any help/suggestions welcomed.
thanks

Jim

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
OCCASIONALLY THE TACH ON MY 800 GOES BERZERK AND THEN IT'S FINE BUT IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE CRANKBEARING PROBLEMS THEN IT'S GONNA COST BIG BUCKS YOU DON'T WANT TO SKIMP ON THE PARTS CHECK ALL BEARINGS. CRANK AND ROD, CRANK BEARINGS ARE NOT TO BAD TO GET REPLACED BUT IF IT'S YOUR ROD BEARINGS THEN THAT'S WHERE TH BIG MONEY COMES INTO PLAY, CRANKS NEED TO BE PRESSED APART AND TRUIED AND NOT EVERY SHOP IS EQUIPED TO HANDLE THE JOB, MY ADVICE IS TO LOOK THROUGH A GOOD MAG LIKE SUPERTRAK AND FIND A CRANK
REBUILDER THEY USUALLY DO A EXCHANGE AND HAVE A FEW DAY TURNAROUND IT WILL COST A FEW BUCKS BUT YOU WILL HAVE A BETTER THAN NEW CRANK I HAVE NOT HEARD OF CRANK PROBLEMS WITH THE 700 SO IT MUST BE A FLUKE I HOPE THIS HELPS

GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I FORGOT TO MENTION IT COULD HAVE RUN LEAN, YOU DIDN'T SAY HOW MANY MILES ARE ON IT BUT A BAD CARB BOOT COULD HAVE CAUSED IT TO LEAN OUT IF THERE WAS A PINHOLE IN IT, A BAD CRANKSEAL WOULD CAUSE A LEAN BURN ALSO.

AGAIN, GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply......
i should have mentioned that there is only 1926 miles on this machine, and i refused the 500 mile service mark so the carbs and oil injection should still be set on the rich side as i have done nothing to change any of it. I'm hoping its not a rod bearing, was looking at a price list and they are $250 a side.......ouch

am going to contact a few places tomorrow and see what they have to say........with the crank being the way it is, im figuring that its something well beyond my qualifications as a backyard mechanic......lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
talked to 2 diffrent dealers today and both gave me ballparks of being no LESS than $1000. so with a grand for a low and as much as $2500 for the absolute worst, im in agony on what i should do. Do i take it in and spend anywhere from $1000-$2500 to fix my current motor........or do i call the salvage yard and see if i can get a low mileage 700 or 800 mill to put into its place???

Both dealers stated after hearing what happened that it was probably caused due to a lean condition and the lack of "good" gas being manufactured. they told me that even stabil in the gas tank for storage wont help it none, the gas that is being manufactured is "garbage". So if you did not drain your carbs before storing your sled last spring, I HIGHLY recommend pulling them off and making sure that they are all cleaned out and gum free so you dont run into a costly problem such as mine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
took my sled to a dealer to have it checked out....turns out, the 2 bearings on the mag side of the crank went out. NO OTHER DAMAGE OR WEAR. they figure the bearings just went south for some reason, no other signs why it woulda happenend. anyways, the cost to repair came back at $897.80.......the depressing part is the parts only account for about $250......where do these shops come up with their labor rates???? thats outrageous, i think i need to take some classes in small engine repair

1 - 6 of 6 Posts