Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'll be picking up a MXZ 440 fan that's been sitting in my aunts shed for three years. She just wants it out of there which means "free", so that's good enough for me.

First off I don't know the year, I couldn't really get to it all the way or lift the hood as it's got junk all piled on it. It's fan cooled, has plastic ski's (look like the 98 style), and the supsension looks alot like my 95 mach1's C7 (did they put this in the MXZ?).

It's got 1800miles on it and looks in good condition. I just need to know what all needs to be done. I know the carbs need to be gone through and the tank needs to be drained, and the rear skid needs to be completely gone through and I'd imagine the shocks are all useless, but what about the springs? Also, what needs to be done to the pistons/rings/cylinders/crank assembly? New pistons/rings/ hone the cylinders?

Thanks in advance for any help,
-Marc

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
Sitting won't ruin any internal engine parts, they "might" rust, but they shouldn't, SEG will fill you in on this.

The carbs should be cleaned, and the tank should be drained.

If it were me, I'd just try to start it and see what happens, you never know. Then if stuff starts breaking, then go from there.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Believe it or not, I've gotten them started after sitting a lot longer than that. Replace the fuel, clean the carbs, change the plugs and see what happens.

If the shocks aren't leaking, they're OK. The springs will have to wait to see how it rides first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, thanks a lot fellas. I'll let you know how this goes when I get it.

-Marc

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
if it has the c-7 rear skid it is probably a '94 or '95 i got the skid out of a '95 mxz for an older formula mx and it was a c-7 with hpg rebuildable shocks. good luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts