Friend gave me a Suzuki 440 F/C motor.

"Arctic Cat"
"AK44A2"
"440 F/C"
"0662-047"

On the sticker.

Single Carb
It has the front output muffler.

My best guess is this is an early 90's motor. The machine it came out of was wrecked, and my friend didn't know much about it.

I'm just curious what years this motor was used so I can cross reference parts.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You think my guess on years is about right? When did Cat stop doing front exhaust?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couple google searches and it looks like this motor was using in the 1990 SuperJag. I've got a 1990 Jag in the yard with a 340 motor. Is the difference just the motors? I'll find out tonight.

I may just take this 440 and stuff it into the 99 Z I have though. Might take some modding, but that sled is a franken-sled anyway.

·
Registered
26,048 Posts
There ya go
I am looking into engine swaps myself.
I may be reworking my Ovation and then upgrading the Phazer to SRV?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well dang, the motor mounts and the crank case mounting holes are completely different. In order to stuff that 440 into the Z, I'd have to fabricate a lot and I'm not sure it is worth it at this point. So I'll probably just hang onto the 440 in case something goes wrong with the Jag 340, which should be bolt in compatible. The 340 has electric start so I'm going to keep it in there for a while until the grandkids grow up a bit.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Revisiting this idea. The 370 blew a base gasket, so I decided to explore the 440 option again.

Turns out, the mounts are not crazy different, but enough different to swap the fan shrouds and then measure and drill for the adaptor. I think I have it pretty close, but I'll double check it again when I'm sober. (haha).

Putting a 440 into what was a 370 is not a huge improvement, but the 370 has a lot of (crazy) miles on it and the 440 doesn't. I'm going to revisit the track situation again. It has a pretty worn out 121" track on it now, but I have a 133" x 1" paddle and a few Polaris skids that might actually fit that track.

I true franken-sled. Hopefully it all comes together...

·
Registered
26,048 Posts
That really doesnt sound that hard
What did they each have for exhaust?
I wouldn't think the 370 had a front mount or exit, but do you have the 440 pipe?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, modified the engine mount brackets to match the distance and height of the 370 motor. Put the Y pipe from the 370 on the 440 (same part number in the parts lookup). Exhaust matched up perfectly.

Funny moment: Got it all connected up and decided to check spark before trying to fire it up. Tether on, key on, zero spark. Go through check all the wires again and it is all connected...but wait...The motor is out of a 1990 Arctic Cat... Remove tether, I got spark!! Now to get a tether that is inverted.

Carb I put on it was from a Skidoo. VM34. I matched up the specs from the 1990 440 as far as main jet and pilot, but there is no choke. It has a primer nipple, so I'll add a primer. Fresh out of primers, so I need to buy one tomorrow. I have the kit that has all the hoses and Ts, but no primer. Hopefully the hardware store here has them. Nothing else will be open tomorrow.

I did fire it up. I choked the carb by hand and got it running. I'm sure there are some other things I will need to do. The clutch that was on the 440 motor is in pretty rough shape as far as rust and grime, so I just put the 370 clutch on there. I may need to change out the weights or spring?
One oddity is that the parts list for the 370 say it should be a Red spring with a part number of 0646-147, but the same part number for the Z 440 of the same year is a Yellow/Green. I didn't notice if the one I have had a green mark on it, but it is yellow.

The Cam Arms are all different. Not sure if the online pricing is for each or for all 8... For right now, I'm going to run the 370 clutch configuration.

·
Registered
26,048 Posts
It will likely be fairly close, get it out and run it then check your plugs and wash.
Get the engine at it's best then do clutching

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is something that puzzled me. On the bottom of the intake manifold there is a nipple that on the 440 had a fuel line type tube connected to it, but the tube has an ID of about .5 mm. While the OD is around 6mm. The other end of the tube doesn't look like it was ever attached to anything.

The 370 intake has the same thing, except it is just capped off.

I capped it off, but am curious of what it's real purpose is. Basically a tiny air leak into the intake manifold.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are other lines for the oil, one on each side of the manifold. I've looked on the parts list and it shows the nipple on the manifold, but doesn't say anything about what it is.

Tried firing it up today and the clutch was dragging on the belt. Turned out I use the wrong bolt with washer and it was pushing the clutch together. Correct bolt in place, pulled it outside and let it warm up. Set the air screw, then the idle. Took it for a quick run around the block. Pulled the plugs and they look on the richer side of normal, but normal. Sounds great.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately, no pictures. I have a short movie of the 2nd start.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I took it for a longer run this evening with the grand daughters riding the '90 Jag and '89 Panther. Got out to the lake and I was all ready to open this 440 up and try and keep up with the Panther 440... Then one cylinder went dead. Figuring it was probably a major issue, I didn't let the machine die and drove it back to the house feathering the throttle to keep it running the mile or two that we were away from the house. While it was still running, I did pull the PTO spark plug cap off, the cap started arcing directly to the motor, and the motor kept running for a few seconds. My guess at this point was lost compression in the PTO cylinder. Immediately check compression... 125/125. Excellent!! I was guessing worse... Check spark next... PTO spark plug completely dead. Replace spark plug and it runs perfectly again.

I really hate NGK spark plugs for their "fuse" behavior. I threw that spark plug out into the woods, which I now regret because I could have cut it apart to prove how bad NGK fuses...err spark plugs are.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts