Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
pipes. clutch. better track/studs. big bore kit. motor swap. how far do you want to go?

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
to add tothe list, gearing, porting timing, turbo! most of the time its just cheaper to buy a new sled

·
Registered
66 Posts
Clutching can make a HUGE difference. Along with the rest the above said.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
How does 155hp sound! I have invested 10 years and alot of money to get my 98 ZR600 done! I can help, how fast can you afford!

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
I started with a 680 big bore kit in 99 with mine, then the Black Magic 711 Invader engine in 01. Then the 760 in 05, back to the 711 with D&D pipes at the moment! So in 10 years I prob got over 20k in it! But then I had 5 different motors in her too! The 680 big bore will be the cheapest to do at about $1000. You won't feel much with out doing pipes and other stuff though. The 711 is about $3000 used! The 760 Stroker adds another 2!

·
Registered
137 Posts
There are plenty of ways to get it to go faster without damaging your wallet in the process. It just dpends on how much you want to gain?

What I did was gearing and clutching, pipes etc. Granted mine is a few years old now, but it used to rape 700's anywhere and the yami triples at 1/4 mile it its day.
I would have to look and see if I can get the numbers off the setup if you want, but Paul Niznik helped me set it up. He used to race oval and runs his own shop now.

The way it worked was the gearing was changed for more speed, and the clutching was adjusted (springs & weights ) to counter that to hold hole shots. I did maintain the AC stock Main and Secondary housings. Keep the stud amount to 96 (reduces weight) but go a bit longer for the added traction. Pipes you can pick up at sales (Haydays etc) or on Ebay. Mine I picked up at Haydays, they are custom race pipes, so there isn't a name on them so but they sound so sexxy lol.

Belts make a difference too, I run Black magics.

All of this without the engine work gained me on average 9 mph more but my fuel milage went down the tubes.

Now that I am older I kept the pipes but went back to a less aggressive clutch/gearing combo so I don't have to search for gas stations everytime I leave one.

Hope this opens ur options a little bit on what you can do. Either stay cheap or blow fort knox, its all up to you :D

·
Daniel
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the sled as is so im not sure what has all been done. My track is Picked and How do i tell if its been clutched? from a dead stop it doesnt engage till around 5000RPM. As soon as it engages the sled hooks up good. I can almost stand it up right on a hard packed surface, from what i was told is that the sled was raced and has some mods but not told exactly what they were.

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
sounds clutched. take a look at the color of the springs and the numbers on the weights in the primary, if you can see them.
does it have twin pipes already? how much do you want to do with it?!

·
Daniel
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just has a single pipe, how much of a difference would twin pipes make? and what am i looking at spending for exhaust?

·
Registered
137 Posts
There is a set of 600 Mod Speedwerx Twin Pipes for $150 on ebay atm for an '06 Sno Pro. Used black magic twin pipes zr 440 sno pro exhaust for $50 also on ebay. That should give you an idea for used pipes. I think I paid a lil over $100 for mine. The twin pipes help the engine breath a little bit more with less restriction. And JK is right, look at your spring colors in both your primary and secondary. The tensions of the springs are different by the color of the springs, yellow, orange, purple etc. List what you have here and I am sure one of us can point you to what you want to do.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Right! Most of the time you're better off just buying a bigger sled! I recomend a 02 ZR800! Thats what i GOT!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts