Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone out there has done any clutch/Reeds/exhaust mods to a 600 REV? If so are you pleased?? Would you share your recipie?? I would like to wake my 05 600 adrenaline up a little but the dealer says dont.......

·
Registered
329 Posts
That 600 is around 115-118 HP stock. Guess you should have opted for the 800, otherwise your going to spend lots of cash on aftermarket parts. The dealer probably told you to leave it alone because you might void any/some or all of the factory warranty. I agree with magoo, I own a 600 ReV, and think it has plenty of pep.

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
could you just...i dunno, tweak the engine without adding anything to revive a couple HP? it seem like for cars people do this, but on sled they like to add expensive parts instead working with what's there...or is it just a waste on a sled?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Definately play with the clutching before you throw engine mods at it. Just a little clutch work will bring any sled back to life.

Next I'd play with the gearing. Stock they come preatty fat on the top gearing, try droping a tooth or 2 (this will take from top end speeds but add torque & pull down low.) Next you could give some Boyseen reeds a try. Lastly, something I hate on trail sleds, would be a pipe & silencer. The 2 combined with jetting will bring the 600 to back to life. Dynoport makes a nice can & silencer. Otherwise stinger makes a nice silencer which shaves about 20 lbs of wieght & is almost quieter then stock.
Lastly if you wanna go out with a bang they do make a 734 big bore kit for the 600 motor. Though I've heard it only adds about 10-15hp with out pipes.

There are many things you can doo to your 600. Is it worth it? Depends how deep your pockets go. Just remember with engine mods you can throw reliability right out the window.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Take all that cash you'll spend on mods, and just buy a 800, cause after all the mods in the world that 800 will just pull harder. I was out with my dad tonight he has an '05 SDI 600 with clutch, silencer, and some other stuff, no reeds yet as it voids warranty, and my '03 800 carb, which is not even broke in yet, would pull on him everywhere, he rode it and even said that I have him beat from low end to top. So if it's grunt, and speed your looking for, get the 800, that way you have the power on tap, and still have the reliability.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for thr input. I am aware that a 600 aint gonna be an 800 no matter what I do to it. I just wanted to have a secret edge on my buddies REV, same sled, different colors. I have a Sno-Stuff silencer on it now, maybe I will dump it a tooth or two to grab some more bottom end grunt. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
boring it out adds a lot. i did it with my 500, and its a nice little sleeper.

but, like i asked before, can you just do some tweaking to whats there and get more HP?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ski doo has them pretty high strung already, which is why you don't see allot of tuned pipes for the Rev's, Ski-Doo paid there engineers good money to get all they could out of there engines, I highly doubt if an Engineer couldn't get any more HP out of without severley hammpering reliability, I doubt an avg joe like myself or other could.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
that's true. i was just thinking, even with the bigger ones, you can unearth some more hp out of cars. even if it's not much, it's still a little bit of free power.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Blance the crank, Bore it out, polish the ports, file down the heads, add tuned pipes, fool with the clutch a bit, use high octane fuel....

-almost forgot-send everything away to be chromed.....

·
Registered
282 Posts
god, i hope your joking... plus, using higher octane fuel will only put a bigger hole in your pocket. you wont get any extra power by using it. you get power by increasing compression, then you NEED higher octane fuel so you dont get detonation from the higher compression.

on the other hand, i have heard that chrome adds 12 to 15HP... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Or you could get an f7 and lead the whole da*m pack! Seriosely, if it's a carbed sled you could jet down a size or two and would only cost a few bucks. There has to be more power on tap or the motor would be tuned to the limit now. If they tuned them to the limit from the factory there would be a whole bunch of blown up ski-doos. Ski doo doesnt want that now, do they?

·
Registered
282 Posts
why not? just means they'll sell more parts in the future.... its called job security. they just have to tune it so that it dies the day after the warranty is up. most manufacturers are pretty good at that. ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also do you see any of the big four making aftermarket exhausts or any type of aftermarket preformance engine part? They don't make money so why wouldn't they have there sleds tunes to maximume preformence, and reliability, note the reliability part.

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
every sled manufacture detuneds to a certin point. they do it so it is easyer on the engines. if you cant find an aftermarket pipe getting them ceramic coated would be your best bet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
sesnopro said:
every sled manufacture detuneds to a certin point. they do it so it is easyer on the engines. if you cant find an aftermarket pipe getting them ceramic coated would be your best bet.
Yes, I agree companies detune, I remember when the XCR 600 first came out with the Variable exhaust valves, and factory triple pipes, and they were testing down in MN, and it was beating the storms, so they had to detune it allot. It seems now though with the technology, and strength of new metal compounds they are running them closer to there limits every year. As far as the rev 600, or any rev for that matter, there doesn't seem to be very many aftermarket pipes out there, so that tells me ski-doo got it pretty good with the factory setup, silencers seems to be the only thing allot of people change out on them, but they are pretty minimal gains, although I was talking to my dealer, and he said there is a company out of British Columbia, Canada that developed a new silencer that is getting gains of 8-10 HP at the track so that's pretty substantial for a silencer replacement. I did it more for the weight reduction, and sound than anything else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts