Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Looked for bit info on where to start with the pilot screw on the TM38, but couldn't find anything straight away.

2000 XC600 SP. Bought used and in fair/poor shape. Cleaned carbs and was running lean. Clenaed carbs again and now it's running wet. Need a place to start so I know where to go from here.

Thanks !

Jeff

·
Registered
177 Posts
hey buddy have the polaris manual in my hands right now and it says 1.5 turns as a starting point

·
Registered
177 Posts
i had some tuning problems with my 500 xc when i got it went through the cars a few times then i had a look at my reeds they were done poped in some new boysens and it woke right up started great and had much more snap down low ran much cleaner and smother at idle as well. that may not be whats up with yours but it does not hurt to take a look at them if you have 500 miles or more,to me it is a maintenence thing. cheers

·
Registered
196 Posts
Main jet - 400
Pilot jet - 40
Idle/starter jet - 145
screw - 1.5 turns out
needle jet - p6
Jet needle - 9EFH01-60-3

See my post labeled 'cold blooded '01' - it may help you out

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I don't know what jets are in it now, but I will have a look. Here's an update.

Used sled. Ran rough when I got it. Cleaned the carbs. After that it backfired when I pinned the throttle (from idle or from mid throttle). Cleaned the carbs again. Still backfires but not as much. Removed all of the gas in the tank and put in fresh....still not trunning well.

If I open the throttle to 1/4-1/2 it sounds good for a few seconds, then bogs out in a big way. If I run the throttle above 1/2, it comes to life and sounds really good.

It has always started well and will idel all day, even if it's a little rough. The plugs (at idle) are still wet and I wonder if that's causing the poor performance at 1/4-1/2 throttle.

When i cleaned the carbs I removed the jets and checks them for crud. Ran wires through the ports where I could. I have not replaced the needle and seat, but it seams that it idel OK so that may not be a problem...but I don't know.

I will have a look at the reeds this week. I'm sure this sled can run like my 500 Indy (both 2000) which is awesome, but I am not there yet.

Thanks again,

Jeff

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did you check your air cleaner for a mouse house?
LOL... yes, no mice... I even checked twice.

Started it last night gain. Was about 0 degrees and it ran like crap. Gave up. So I will take one more stab at the whole carb/reed/VES thing and after that I'll have to take it to a dealer. I thought it would be an easy fix but it turns out to be more luck than science....plus I don't have all the cool tools or a heated garage !!!

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts