Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 84 pantera 440 liquid cooled with dual mikuni carbs. The snowmobile starts perfect but when warm floods. So I got looking at the carb and the main jet is a 280. The reference chart say this should work from -20 to -40 below zero. Would a 260 fix this and would I have to change the needle and other parts?

·
Registered
673 Posts
i would try a 270 first. depends on how your spark plugs look but you dont want to jump to many sizes at a time. wont need to change other things

·
Registered
470 Posts
Are you saying it's flooding while idling? If that's the case, changing the main jet isn't going to make a bit of difference. There's a thread in this section "Engine/ Drivetrain" titled "Hard Starting Engine?". Go to the 1st page and read the 1st post. It will fully explain how a Mikuni carb works.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no it idles fine but is rich. But when I open it up it gets slow and no power when warm. When is cold thats a differnt story I can do a burn out practically.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just cleaned them as I bought this sled a couple of weeks ago. I looked them over and didnt see anything wrong with them. How should I check the float/set the float. I usually don't mess with the float.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
If you turn the carb upside down the flow should shut off as the float becomes level with the carb body!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts