Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this guy has 2 1992 wildcats one is EFI and the other one has carbs,which one is the better one. thanks for all of your help... i dont know much about artic cats..

·
Registered
258 Posts
On a sled that old, I'd go with carbs. EFI does have it's advantages, but there's alot of expensive stuff that can go wrong on a 20 year old sled with EFI. I'm pretty sure that was one of the first years for AC EFI, they've come along way since then.

Carbs have been around forever and are easy and much cheaper to fix if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On a sled that old, I'd go with carbs. EFI does have it's advantages, but there's alot of expensive stuff that can go wrong on a 20 year old sled with EFI. I'm pretty sure that was one of the first years for AC EFI, they've come along way since then.

Carbs have been around forever and are easy and much cheaper to fix if something goes wrong.
thanks for the reply L.T. Grey,would you know if the 92 wildcat is a good sled or not i have been doing lots of reading on the 92's not much info on them i dont know if thats a bad thing or not.....thx.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
I personally would go with EFI over carb.
The EFi engine will use less fuel than the carb version and is much easier to start.
The system is extremely reliable even today. All you really have to do with them is keep a good battery in it and that is all.
I have had my 93 for 7 years and only had to mainly replace the battery and the recoil and mag housing (due to the PO's cob job repair).

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
My bud has a 97 Wildcat EFI and he loves it. I would personally go with EFI over carbs every time unless you have some specific reason not to, such as your racing the sled? I have EFI on my R6 and my old bike was carb, needless to say the new bike starts everytime, no need to let it warm up before you can leave the garage and temperature doesn't matter!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally would go with EFI over carb.
The EFi engine will use less fuel than the carb version and is much easier to start.
The system is extremely reliable even today. All you really have to do with them is keep a good battery in it and that is all.
I have had my 93 for 7 years and only had to mainly replace the battery and the recoil and mag housing (due to the PO's cob job repair).
thanks for your input RJ so EFI runs off of the battery if the battery becomes low will it still run. thx.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bud has a 97 Wildcat EFI and he loves it. I would personally go with EFI over carbs every time unless you have some specific reason not to, such as your racing the sled? I have EFI on my R6 and my old bike was carb, needless to say the new bike starts everytime, no need to let it warm up before you can leave the garage and temperature doesn't matter!
thanks for your help jwaldmann89

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
thanks for your input RJ so EFI runs off of the battery if the battery becomes low will it still run. thx.
It will run, just not well is the battery is not good/fully charged. It goes into "limp mode" and will not rev out over 3000 rpm.
The ECU requires a minimum voltage (12.5vdc) to function properly.

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
The early battery-type EFI's are dependent on a good battery to work. If the battery fails, the sled will not run well if at all. Good maintenance of the battery over the summer is key to not having to buy a new battery every start of season.

RJ beat me to it ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
carberators are more reliable and less can go wrong, from my experience with the 94 wildcat the EFI has way to many issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts