Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2001 Polaris Edge X 600
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi how's it going all? Just a couple questions. I have a 01 Edge X 600 and at WOT I am reving out around 8100RPM I was told by a couple Ski Doo guys that this is high just looking for some input. and the other question is I had my clutch belt off the other day and I don't really know alot about sleds and a buddy that was here with me saw me move the secondary clutch and said there was too much play and showed me the bolt that I should tighten in to take the slack out of my chain so I did but now sure how much slack there should be I can move my secondary clutch between 3/4 and 1 " before the track moves. Thanks All.

·
Registered
615 Posts
finger tight and back off 1/4 turn.its not automatic and there is no spring your rpm is good.hawkster your way overrevving at 8500 and out of your powerband unless you tach is just way off.

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
8100 is not high for that engine.

·
2001 Polaris Edge X 600
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone that makes me feel better about the RPM at WOT. But as far as the question about the play in secondary (driven) clutch it rocks about 3/4 - 1" before the track moves, before I tightened it it was probably close to 2-3"+ so am i where i should be. sorry if i am wording this poorly.

Thanks again.

·
Polaris All The Way!!!
657 Posts
Should i be able to hear the slack in the chain while im riding? (as in if im moving pretty good and im on the throttle and i quickly hit the brake i hear a little clunk, im guessing thats the chain and is that alright?)

·
2001 Polaris Edge X 600
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right on BC Dan there is some slack in the secondary. But alot less than before I just wanted to make sure that I didn't tighten it too much and put too much strain on the chain to the point that it would snap but as long as there is some play I should be fine. Thanks All

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
Better to be a little loose than too tight! Sounds like you have it perfect.

For cam, it's pretty usual for there to be clunks in the system, especially when transitioning from acceleration to decelration. Theres a whole bunch of rotating mass that has to make that transition. Couple that with a system that is not really designed to be "tight" and you get clunks. The key is to learn what the clunks sound like and when they change, start looking for problems!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts