Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ASE cert. Master Mechanic
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here goes.
yes i know the original tool is two piece but this way works with less hassle
so if you have comet 102 c clutch and you want to pull your clutch.

all you gotta do is first buy threaded rod. make sure you get one with the proper diameter and thread pitch that fits the sheave threads, that is also more than long enough to bottom out on the crank when threaded into the sheave.

you can either spend a good $15-$25 extra for case hardened....
but if you have a wood stove and a gallon or so of nice black used motor oil you can case harden it your self.

now to begin.....

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
first measure out how long you want your tool to be... some may have clearance issues so may need shorter.

i cut mine at 14" and only needed 8-9'' to remove clutch. reason for this will be explained.

anywho once marked cut the rod any way you want. i chose band saw

now take a bench grinder or angle grinder and smooth out burrs and taper the edge at both ends then clean threads with tap and die set. this will prevent the end of the bolt from possibly mushrooming and wedging its self in.

now choose which end you want to attach tools to. what i did was take a old stripped socket slightly smaller than the diameter of the shaft. then i ground down the treads so that about the last inch to inch and half has no threads and fits into socket.

then i welded the socket to the end. if you dont have a welder just grind the end of the shaft into a square so that you can fit tools of your choice on.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
next steps can be skipped if you bought case hardened....

proceed to pour your used motor oil into a large enough container that your new tool can be fully submerged.
(good idea to use metal container)(......which i did not)

now go over to your wood stove...

and throw your threaded rod into the hot embers/coal in your fire where its the hottest.

i left mine in for a half hour.

now BE CAREFUL the threaded rod should be glowing red by now. use welding gloves or pliers to grab the rod and then carefuly drop it into the used oil.

now it will smoke quite a bit and possibly ignite the oil at first. this is fine the oil will not continue to burn. if it does all you have to do is cover your container to smother the flames.

now leave it in till the oil no longer "boils" from head of the rod (takes about 5-10 min)

once done you repeat atleast once more by putting it back into fire for half an hour. then to the oil again

you can repeat as manny times as you like. the more you repeat process the stronger the "casing" of the bolt will be as only the outer layers of the steel absorb the carbon built up in the used motor oil. the more you repeat process the thicker the hardened layer becomes

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is after being hardened only once. notice how the socket for the most part is still shiny chrome with greyish tint.

and this is a comparison of color from the original threaded rod current point in process.

now this is after the second time. i didnt plan on using my tool much more than once or twice so twice was fine for me. notice how the socket is much darker now.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok well once the bolt is case hardened to your likeing..... USE IT :)
now get some grease (any kind is fine) take your finger and smear a nice glob into the sheave where tool will be threaded into. then smear grease all over the threads of the tool being sure to leave a glob on the end.

next install tool by hand untill it bottoms out on crankshaft then proceed to use what ever tool you would like.
i just used my impact gun set on its medium power setting and presto it came right off.

all together i spent $15 on the rod and had enough left over to make 3-4 more. i usually keep my used oil after oil changes so that was free... the socket...well it was garbage anyways so free too :thumbs:

and of course the fire wood was free.. except for labor cutting down some trees over the summer an splitting logs for two months lol

so i pretty much bought 4-5 clutch removal tools for $15 so it dont matter if i break, misuse, damage, or loose it... i can make more :) and so can you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.