Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering upgrading to a newer model with lower mileage. I've heard the 4 strokes have minimal maintenance. What are the big service appts for the 2 strokes and what kind of miles. I don't want to buy a machine to find it needs an $800 dollar service right out of the gate.

·
Super Moderator
16,803 Posts
About the only "maintenance" that is engine specific that I would do on a 2-stroke is replace pistons at 3-4000 miles, just as a precaution. 4-Stroke engines go a lot farther, but maintenance is a lot more complicated and sometimes very expensive. Most 2-stroke maintenance that needs to be done on my sleds I can do myself. That may not be true on a 4 stroke, as they are just as complicated as a late model car. That often takes the shade tree mechanic out of it, as few of us can afford the proprietary diagnostic tools necessary.

Other maintenance such as greasing suspension points, changing track hyfax, replacing ski carbides, cleaning or updating clutches, changing chaincase oil, changing coolant, etc. will be the same for either sled you get.

Most people buy 4 strokes for better fuel mileage, less smoke, quieter engine, and longer engine life. But some 2-strokes go 10k miles with no issues. Your call.

·
Registered
98 Posts
A 4 stroke will need an oil and filter change at the start of the snow season each year. Spark plugs will last much longer than in a 2 stroke. You will need to purchase and add 2 stroke oil throughout the season at $30 to $50 dollars a gallon depending on what you get. The more you ride, the more oil you go through. 4 stroke, 1 oil change and you are done for the season. The fuel injection systems on both are controlled by a computer, so they both need to go to the dealer and hooked up to a computer if there is a fuel delivery problem.

All the other maintenance is the same on both as Dan has said. If you do not like doing the maintenance yourself, then they will both need to be serviced at some point. If you like to do maintenance, then you can change the oil and filter on a 4 stroke.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK helpful. It sounds like no scheduled maintenance on the 2 stroke but maybe pistons around 3-4K

1 - 4 of 4 Posts