Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my sled (1998 Formula S) the ignition switch on it was broken and the machine could be started without a key. In fact, I don’t even have a key for it.
Seeing as anyone could just walk up to the machine and start it I figured it was time to replace the ignition switch.
Now, I’m not very smart when it comes to this sort of thing as you will soon see.
My machine is an electric start but I didn’t know that until I pulled the old ignition switch out and went to put the new one in. Because I never needed a key to start the machine I just assumed it was a manual start. This is where the trouble began.
I thought that since I had a new switch for a manual start machine I’d simply switch some wires around and use it until I cracked down and bought the proper switch. The electric start switch requires 5 wires and the manual switch only two.
Now, regardless of which switch I have in the machine it will not start. I think it’s because I’ve switched wires around so many and have lost track of what wire goes to what terminal on the switch.
I’d like to go back to the electric start switch so that I can continue to have handlegrip and thumb warmers (I’m assuming that I need this switch for this feature, but I could be wrong and please correct me if I am!)
The 5 wires that go to the electric start switch are as follows:
Red
Red/Blue
Red/Green
Black
Black/Yellow
And the terminals on the electric start switch are labelled:
Bat
Sol
Mag
Grd
Acc
Can anyone tell me which wire goes to which switch? And, because the switch is broken will the proper wire/terminal combination have any effect on whether or not it will start?
Thank-you for your help,
Brock

·
Registered
711 Posts
well i can tell ya what i know,

RED goes to the Bat part
BLACK is your grd (ground)

Those two are for sure, these may be off

BLACK/ Yellow is your MAG
RED/GRN is your SOL
RED/BLUE is your ACC

And if the switch is broken, it may not work at all, even if the wires are right. I would get a new switch for that specific sled and it should tell you for sure on witch wires go where. A dealer will be able to get it right for you too.

good luck

·
Registered
711 Posts
Sweet, Thanks smallengineguy. And your welcome brockt. Let us know how it works out for ya

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, tonight I finally managed to get my machine running. And with 6 inches of fresh snow on the ground it couldn't have happened at a better time!

I'm not convinced that this is the way it's supposed to go, but the wires to the switch work when they're connected like this:

Red = Bat.
Red/Green=Sol.
Red/Blue=Mag.
Black=Ground
Black/Yellow=Acc.

Also, the new plugs that I had put in were no good. I threw an old pair in and the machine fires fine. I guess it pays to check everything.

Thanks again for all your help,
Brock

1 - 7 of 7 Posts