Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys what's up?? Sorry for this being so long but I need some advice. I just bought a 2000 Mach Z 800 from a local dealership. For the first 100 or so miles I rode it, it smoked quite a bit when I slow down or let it idle a few seconds. After about 100 miles it died and it turned out the right cylinder plug was fouled and I think it may have been fouled the entire first 100 miles.(although when i'm going wide open across a lake, it doesn't feel like a plug is fouling, in fact easily brought it up to 110mph with no trouble) So I changed all three plugs and the smoke seemed to gradually clear up. After about another 50 miles, it sounded better and was running better and was no smoke whatsoever. After about another 50 miles it was running so good I stopped to talk to a friend for maybe a minute, left it idling and when I started riding again, the smoke was back. Rode the rest of the way back to the motel where I discovered that it was now the middle cylinder that was fouled.(pulled the plug it was soaking wet) When I had pulled into the hotel my oil light also came on which with the Mach Z's, the oil tank is hidden under the handlebar so you can't see the oil level, so the light comes on when you are getting low. The problem is that I went though a gallon of oil in 140-150 miles. This is definitely not right. My question is though, it seems like the oil pump is pumping to much oil into the cylinders, but when I pulled the 2 other plugs they looked like they were burning perfect(had that cocoa color brown on them). So my dilema is, should the oil pump be turned down to allow less oil in(eventhough the 2 other cylinders seem just right) or should I try running BR8ES spark plugs instead??? I was smart and bought a 3 year warranty on this sled but I don't want to take it back to them, have them just look it over and say, "Nope it all looks fine". I want to have some possible causes and fixes for this problem. Help me out if you can thanks.

Doyle

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sound like it might need re-jetting. From what you've said that is what comes to mind.

Also, Ski-Doo triples have always been kind of touchy when you let them idle for too long (which sometimes isn't even very long). I would maybe suggest just shutting it off when you stop, then just starting it again when you go. Always worked for my dad when he had triples...so it might help you out, maybe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
doyle800

Check your choke adjustment. Also you could possibly have a waterpump shaft cavity leaking. I cant remember if the 800 triples have an oil line going to the waterpump shaft. I know on the Rotary Valves and serise 3 twins they bathe the shafts in oil. In some cases this leaks excessive oil into the crankcase. These cavities should not leak any oil into the crankcase because they are sealed. Triples were know to use alot of oil. I personally had a 1999 Mach 1 that nobody wanted to ride behind because it smoked to much. It may just be a charicteristic of this sled. Your plug fouling could just be carb settings & choke adjustment and your oil consumption could be ok.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts