Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I'm trying to setup the suspension on my sled. It's an 02 edge classic with the FAST m 10. I'm trying to set the weight back on the track, but it seems the limiter strap is lengthened all the way. It still sits so the back of the track is a little bit off the ground when on flat ground. Can anybody provide a pic of what the strap looks like when lengthened all the way? I'll post a pic of mine a little later to see what you think. Is there another option for putting the weight back? Thanks
FLANDS

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I'm not mistaken the m-10 has only a front strap and by lengthening it you are making it worse .. you should be shortening it.
Oh okay. Actually after looking at it, that makes more sense, because it would limit the downward travel of the skid, making a lower profile and more weight on the track. Right? Will the ride be rough then?

·
Registered
323 Posts
The people at M10 suggest to keep the limiter strap in hole #4 of the 5, I think you need to dial in your rear arm a little more. I dont have my setup sheet with me (at work) but the rear spring and FRA adjustment (that little slider block that the rear arm bolts to on the slide rail) have a lot to do with it also.

I was having trouble getting my sled to hook up from 20-30 mph and up on hard acceleration, it would always break loose and slide sideways, so I softened up the FRA block (1 full line on the hash marks on the slide rail) and put 2 full turns additional spring pressure on both front shocks (on the ski's)

On the FRA block, moving the slider block forward makes the rear suspension more firm, sliding it back softens it up, I slid mine back a little, which leveled out the rear suspension, but I didnt want to lose too much ski pressure.

I only took a quick blast down the private trail behind the house, but it seems much better.

M10's are a great skid, tons of adjustment, just keep notes on what you adjusted to where, so if your problem gets worse, or your main concern goess away, but a different problem starts, you know how to put it back, or split the difference.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The FRA is set a little heavy for me. I weigh 165 geared up, and I've got it set for 185. So I'll pull it back and shorten the strap a bit. I don't drive on any trails, just through the fields. So ski pressure isn't an issue at all. I was also told to increase front spring preload to set the weight back. Is that something I should do?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Brummo. I read it, and according to it (as far as I can tell) I need to lengthen my limiter strap. So... which is it? Longer or shorter? Thanks again!

·
Need Snow!!!!!
427 Posts
Thanks Brummo. I read it, and according to it (as far as I can tell) I need to lengthen my limiter strap. So... which is it? Longer or shorter? Thanks again!
You need length on the strap, that helps put weight on the skid/rear suspension, shortening the strap puts more weight on the skis. It sounds like you want weight transfer to the rear.
Jrscars has it right the way I read for M-10 set-up. Front spring pre load.
I actually have to move my block back too for just a bit softer ride and weight transfer to the rear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh okay, well the strap is as long as it goes, and it still seems like there's too much weight on the skis. I like the ride, but I don't like how little weight transfers to the skid. Maybe I should sell and get something like a gen II with suspension I can set right back... Because where it stands right now, it would seem there is no way to set it back. :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oh okay, well the strap is as long as it goes, and it still seems like there's too much weight on the skis. I like the ride, but I don't like how little weight transfers to the skid. Maybe I should sell and get something like a gen II with suspension I can set right back... Because where it stands right now, it would seem there is no way to set it back. :(
NOOOOOO! Don't do that...you'll get it. Mine is set up pretty soft all around and would like it stiffer in the front, just haven't messed with it yet.

·
Need Snow!!!!!
427 Posts
Little adjustments on the rear blocks will allow transfer of weight under throttle and soften up the ride a bit. This suspension is always working unlike the others out there. With a little time and adjustment you'll get it set right.

Now setting the preload on the front track shock will help too because it won't absorb weight and transfer it to the rear. teeter totter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I suppose that would work. I'm attempting to try to shorten the limiter strap, but it's a PITA! I'll try a few things, and see what I can do. I just have to make sure I do one change at a time.

·
Registered
323 Posts
you wont find a better ride than the M10, and I know what your saying about not much front end lift, mine is the same way, but that is supposed to me one of the features of an M10 with true parallelogram coupling unlike factory setups that allow large amounts of weight shift.

At times I think mine doesnt feel right, then I take my sons Cat ZR600 fror a short ride that has very limited means of controlling weight transfer, and the front end is always in the air !! and i appreciate my M10 that much more. (my son seems to enjoy wrestling that ZR doing wheelies all the time, to each his own)

·
Need Snow!!!!!
427 Posts
Yeah, I suppose that would work. I'm attempting to try to shorten the limiter strap, but it's a PITA! I'll try a few things, and see what I can do. I just have to make sure I do one change at a time.[/QUOTE

Shortening the strap=more ski pressure.

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
When I first got my XLT it was set up that the rear of the track would not touch the floor when sitting in the garage.. The first time I rode it the machine was fish tailing all over the trail and wasn't real fun to ride.. I pulled the front strap until the track sat flat on the floor and it made a world of difference , no more fish tailing and was way more stable in the corners.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.