Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not real knowledgeable about gears ratios, but I recenctly lowered my sled top gear by 2 teeth and left the bottom gear alone. It made a huge difference in my sled, but what would you get out of changing the lower gear? Sorry if this has been covered, Im not gonna change it, I am just curious to what it will accomplish, I would think more teeth will rotate the track more at a given rpm, and a smaller would slow it down right?

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
I disagree, Tricky is talking about the lower silent chain sprocket and his description should be reversed: "...more teeth will rotate the track LESS at a given rpm, and a smaller would SPEED IT UP...".

Anything you do to the driven (lower) sprocket has an opposite effect as compared to if you did it on the drive (upper) spkt. Less teeth on the top spkt decreases the gear ratio and less teeth on the bottom spkt increases the ratio.

If Tricky was talking about the track cog sprocket, then he would be correct.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yah that does does make more sense that it would have the opposite affect as the top gear would. I'm new to snowmobiles so I'm just trying to get a little better understanding how how it all works.

·
Registered
26,124 Posts
Yeah don't get carried away with chanding gears. The older Yamis really needed to drop a tooth on top, and actually would be faster by doing so. 2 teeth would be way too much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts