Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok took my 2002 ZR 500 cross country (carburated model) for a ride last night for the first time.

well it starts extremely well, the only really bad problem is that when it warms up it seems that anytime below half throttle the sled is "flooding" itself out, like if u stop and have it idleing it will idle around 500 rpm just barely idling and if u go to take off with it u cant see threw the smoke!!! once its wound right out then it "seems" to run good,

my question is what could this be? air fuel mixture screw? choke cable acting up ? or something else..

just wondering if other people have had an issue with this in the past.

·
Registered
673 Posts
make sure you got freshish gas as well

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
make sure you got freshish gas as well
ya thats what i thought might have been the problem so i filled up with fresh fuel, tank was dead empty,, i thought maybe if i drove around for a while it would get better but no luck just got worse.

·
Registered
94 Posts
check ur airbox to see if its full of snow ... happened to me 3 days ago a air filter fell off by my feet and i sucked in alot of snow made the sled run terribal

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Are you sure that your clutch is engaging or fully disengaging? How hard is it to pull the chord when it's running like that? Just a thought...

·
Registered
673 Posts
yeah if its not something simple like bad gas then def clean the carbs like kccats said... carbs should usually be cleaned every season even though people like to push it off as long as possible. once they are clean then you can start fiddleing with adjustments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just a thought, if it's bogging and smoking, double check the oil pump, other wise cleaning the carbs would be a good place to start. Good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i guess im going to be cleaning the carbs then, hope thats all thats wrong. i just bought this sled used so who knows how long its been since they have been cleaned.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Start of EVERY season! I's alot easyer and cheaper than replacing jugs and pistons!
true that!! anyway the power valve on the clutch side seems to be leaking.... its all soaked around the seal of the valve, now the guy i bought it from tells me that he had that one replaced, could this be creating the same kind of problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts