Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:Lucky for me that it happened in my yard before I rode my 91 ExciterII anywhere. It feels like a bolt or pin came out towards the bottom of the steering shaft. I have not looked at it very close yet because it's in a bunch of snow and seems like it is going to be difficult to get down to the bottom of the shaft. Can anybody tell me how to get access to the bottom of the steering shaft? Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yikes, that's exciting and not in a good way.

I'm guessing your steering shaft is broken, or the steering inner "tie rod" end or relay rod. Unfortunately those are under the engine and I don't know that you can get to them without pulling it. Yamadad hopefully will chime in with a tip or trick.

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
undo all you hoses and take your carbs off and undo your engine mounts, then pull your engine and find a nice safe place for it. this takes me around 10 minutes.

then check your steering rod, theres one or two connections im thinking of where it could break.

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
if you do pull your engine, make sure to TAKE PICTURES of what it looked like BEFORE you pulled it, so when you go to put it back together you arnt left scratching your head and cussing.

and mark where your cables are set at, like oil and fuel and choke, you can do this with a sharpie or some tape

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hoping it would be easy, like an access door undernieth. Just might have to wait till this spring cause I don't want to pull the motor outside in the snow, man this sucks! At least I have the XCR to ride.

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
yeah, your first time through it may take 20-45 minutes, then you just check everything on your steering column and that should take 5-10 minutes, find out whats broken and replace it, putting it back together should take half the time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone but I'm not about to mess with it in the snow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts