Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today i went out to go ride and well this is what happened. My sled, an arctic cat 98 500 zr has always been a one pull wonder.(Its kept in a shop thats bout 40 degrees.)But today it wouldnt want to start, not with the choke on half or full, it finally started when i held the throttle. So i went to go ride it was about -8 farheint out. I topped it off with gas and went to go ride, but i noticed it was ideling weirdly. Anyways it had no power from low throttle all the way to full throttle, when it finally got to full throttle it would decide to fly down the ditches. So thats the only speed i could go was full out. But i was leaving blue smoke everywhere after bout 1/2 a mile (i was hoping it was just a phase) i knew something was wrong so i went back home. I think it must be running rich or something? My dad thinks i got mositure in the tank? Either way i need help asap. Thanks

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
You're filling up with oil. This could be due to a malfunctioning oil injector. The problem is you have too much oil in your jugs and you can't burn it off fast enough with minimal gas. When you give it full throttle, you add more gas and air to match the level of oil you're getting. Try backing off the injector a few turns and if it doesn't work you may need to buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Also clean the carbs.
Having to hold the throttle open to start it usually points to too much fuel in the engine.
I suspect that the chokes may be sticking open some or that the needle valve is not shutting off the fuel.

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
Lots of smoke = too much oil. I had the same exact problem. Backed off the injector and it went away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts