Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Snowmonkey
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the motor on my '04 800 Switchie last spring, and after the break-in period. i took it for its first real rip around the cabin. the problem is, when i go to start it up and let it idle for more than a few minutes or so, the idle starts to slow down to the point where the tach flatlines and blue smoke starts to flow out the exhaust. when i go to actually ride it, it is super sluggish and has almost no power on takeoff. in fact i usually have to push it to even get it moving, all the while coughing in a cloud of dark smoke. once i get going, the engine has trouble getting past 6k rpm, and it still smokes for a few hundred yards of driving. i checked the plugs, and they are both the same color and dry, but either steam or smoke is rolling out of the clutch side cylinder. this was the cylinder that was replaced last spring. i switched the plugs to a cooler running set, but the problem still exists.

i talked to my mechanic and he said it might be oil loadup in the cylinder, but i wanted to check here too, in case its happened to anyone else.

·
Snowmonkey
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put the correct heat range plugs back in.
Does the smoke smell sweet?
I Put the correct plugs back in, and the problem persisted. I have not inhaled the smoke enough to notice if it smells sweet or not. Are you thinking coolant is getting into the cylinders?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I Put the correct plugs back in, and the problem persisted. I have not inhaled the smoke enough to notice if it smells sweet or not. Are you thinking coolant is getting into the cylinders?
He is.. Is your coolant level getting low?

·
Snowmonkey
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No i havent, but i did notice that there was some still in the bottle the other day.

and the problem isnt just during long warmups anymore. now it begins at start up and doesnt get better after 10 minutes of driving up and down the driveway(including offroad to cool it). i could not get it to rev higher than 6500, and it didnt have any throttle response. i had to feather it like crazy to get it to rev up higher than 6, and if i gave it full throttle, it would bog and sputter,

It also doesnt idle at all. if its running and im not on the throttle, it will die within seconds.

·
Snowmonkey
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem Solved.

turns out im an idiot and forgot to check the choke, which was sticking fully on......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts