Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
cmd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice about what exactly I need to purchase to tighten up the steering on my 94' v-max. It wanders horribly and there is alot of play when you turn the handlebars before the skis move. But there is no play in the ball joints (i think that's what there called!) Each ski moves around alot and the idler arm at the end of the steering column also seems very loose. Can the bushings be replaced or do I need the whole steering system new?? Is there a kit that can be purchased to fix this problem?? Any info will be appreciated since I can't afford replacing parts that don't need replaced!!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
there are shim kits available they sometimes help and sometimes not. you need to closely assess your situation one pivot point at a time. have someone or something hold the skis from turning and watch to see where the play is at.

make sure the bolts securing the steering column and the plastic bushings are tight. watch the tie rod from the base of the column to the pivot in front of the engine. you may have to remove the airbox and pipe to see. you can skip these steps if there is no excessive movement at this point.

next observe the play between between that pivot and the steering knuckles on the struts. lastly, watch the scissors for freeplay.

once you know where the excess is, you can figure out what you need for parts. also, your wear bars or carbides can create steering issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts