Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't owned a sled for the last ten years, but I'm looking to get back in the saddle. I'm leaning towards the XLT, I've heard it's a pretty good sled for the money. I've done a lot of research and I know about some of the more common problems, i.e. crank failure. Now here's my question, is the Extra-12 worth it? I can get a fairly decent deal on a '95, however it just has the standard suspension travel. I know I'll be riding this thing pretty hard, so I need to know if the extra amount of travel really makes that much of a difference in the rough stuff. Any other pointers or tips on these sleds would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks in advance guys and gals.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i will be able to let you know soon if you can wait a little bit. I have and xcr 600 that the stock 8 inch travel suspension just went crap on me. So I bought the extra 10, I can let you know if this makes much of a difference. Although it is not the same suspension that you are talking about it will still be a change.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I personally think, this is a personal opinion but the 98 XLT X12 susp, was the best trail sled I have ever ridden. Reallly nice.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the Xtra-10 in my 1997 XC. (preatty much the sport version of the XLT) I have re-done the whole rear suspension. (Recharged shocks, new seals, new springs, you name it, its new.) In the ruff stuff (meaning 2-3 foot whoops,) kiss your back goodbye.
I've got it to the point where it is bearable, but at the end of the day your back will be preatty pissed off at you, and your buddies will have to bring the beers to you while you sit in the recliner. Of coarse I'm not young like I once use to be. :rolleyes:
I have heard RAVE reviews about the Xtra-12 in the XLT's but have not expereinced it personally. I would imagine the 2 more inches of travel would not help to much more. Your best bet if your set on buying the older XLT would be check out a M-10 or an EDGE suspension.
My summer project, if I do not sell my XC is to throw an M-10 in it, so when I take my wife riding she's in a better mood come days end! Instead of her current attitude of, "why the hell do I go snowmobiling?" :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Let me know how that suspension upgrade works out rollinredcavi. While I'm pretty set on getting a Polaris, I'm not firm on the XLT, it just seems liek the best bang for the buck when taking into account my budget. I really don't want to spend a lot of money on a sled, as I'm looking to buy a house soon. It sems liek you can find a decent XLT for less than 2k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a '93 XLT but have no idea what suspension/extra travel mine has. How do I find out? I am pretty clueluess about my sled and snowmobiles in general.

BTW I just found out mine has a bent crank. :( Is this common on the 580 triple?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Extra 12 came out in late 1994 with a limited quanity ( I think 500 ) and was in full production in 1995. Extra-10 came out same or next year and a 1993 XLT has what is called a ITS-Type1. shane

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks shane. I noticed my suspension frame appears welded/extended, I assume this is factory. When buying it I was looking at that and wondering if it was a decent home-made job or from the factory like that.

Vaughn

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Xtra 12 is night and day difference compared to the xtra 10. well worth the extra effort to get a sled with that suspension

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
I am also confused about which suspension I have on my XCR. I can't remember if the PO told me it was the M-10 or the Xtra 10. Is there a difference? The rear doesn't sit up very high, or at least as high I would like it. Would anyone happen to know off hand which susp I have?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts