Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this will be my first sled but that does not mean I am looking for a beginner bike. I am looking to get the baddest sled you can get that will accept the most power from the aftermarket. It will need to be reliable and bada$$ in the looks dept. I will be living in the Western NY area so I am looking to do an XC build I want to be able to ride it on the woods trails that I ride my ATV's on. Don't really know anything about the sport but I am a fast learner. Would love to hear from everyone.

·
Yukon Powder hounds!
20 Posts
If you want power to begin with but want more power in after market the new Artic Cat Z1 is your best bet. The new polaris RMK pro series is narrow and has plenty of power and is good for woods riding between trees. Ross Mercer rides one for his back country riding for Sled Necks. The Ski-doo Freeride is another good one for xc but it more a mountian sled but it would work. I live in Northern ny and i ride a 500 edge xcsp and it gets me every place i wanna go.

·
Registered
328 Posts
yeah if you want a performance foru stroke that will be good on your mx trails atracks the nytro is your best option, you could also get a phazer and do some heavy mods to it also. dont know if you care but one neat fact about the phazer is yamah basically mated two yfz250f engines to make the 500 twin

·
Registered
427 Posts
First you say this

"I am looking to get the baddest sled you can get that will accept the most power from the aftermarket."

And then you say this.

I know I want a 4 stroke not against 2 stroke or anything just prefer the thumpers. I like the Yamaha Nytro turbo what do you guys think of that sled?

Definitely a newby. And I might as well throw in that there are MANY very experienced riders that have no use for anything more than 100-120 hp.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I know I want a 4 stroke not against 2 stroke or anything just prefer the thumpers. I like the Yamaha Nytro turbo what do you guys think of that sled?
WHY would anyone want a 4-stroke? You can't have baddest, AND 4-stroke. Ya gotta choose one or the other... If you want a good power to weight ratio, and fast throttle response, you want a 2-stroke. Look at the riders who WIN races... see any 4-strokes in there? I didn't think so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First you say this

"I am looking to get the baddest sled you can get that will accept the most power from the aftermarket."

And then you say this.

Definitely a newby. And I might as well throw in that there are MANY very experienced riders that have no use for anything more than 100-120 hp.
I am not sure I follow. Are you implying that 2 strokes are faster than 4 strokes.

Yes as stated I have never owned a sled before. I also never owned an ATV at one point in my life but that did not stop me from modding many of my quads out the A$$. Some people just want more out of life than the minimum.:cheeky4:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WHY would anyone want a 4-stroke? You can't have baddest, AND 4-stroke. Ya gotta choose one or the other... If you want a good power to weight ratio, and fast throttle response, you want a 2-stroke. Look at the riders who WIN races... see any 4-strokes in there? I didn't think so.
Like I said I do realize that 2 strokes are capable of making insane power. I am just more into building and tuning the 4 strokes. I will not be racing so I am looking for something I will enjoy for myself. I don't know how things work in this world but when it comes to ATV's and dirtbikes 4 strokes rain supreme. I am sure this will spread to the snowmobile world very soon.

·
Live to ride
2,682 Posts
I think you would be much happier with a 2-stroke.

What type of riding would you do though? Are you the kind of guy that is aggresive and is going to hit every drift/, and climb every hill he sees, or the type that stays on the trail and akes it easy

·
Registered
328 Posts
you said you wanted to do an xc build though, so reaslly your wayy better off going with a polaris prox 600 or 800.or similiar sleds and have you ridden a snowmobile before? if you go throw a couple grand in a sled then get out there and try and ride it like a quad, your going to roll it real quick. one of the main reasons that twostrokes arent ridden as much in the atv world is because they stopped making race 250 two strokes over ten years ago so if anyone wantys one they pretty much have to build off that chassis which is nowadays inferior to modern atvs. get a twostroke, save some money, and be better off.

·
Registered
588 Posts
back when I was riding quads, my Honda 250R was the fastest thing around my neck of the woods. 2-stroke. Don't get me wrong, I don't care what you ride, like Hawkster said, get one and go try it out before spending a ton of money and wishing you got something different.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Stock for Stock The 2 stroke will be much quicker.
4 stroke faster but not by much.
Mod vs Mod I would think the 2 stroke would still be quicker
but the 4 stroker will keep pulling to the end....
The same as in bikes.

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
Stock for Stock The 2 stroke will be much quicker.
4 stroke faster but not by much.
Mod vs Mod I would think the 2 stroke would still be quicker
but the 4 stroker will keep pulling to the end....
The same as in bikes.
^^^^X2 agreed^^^^

1 - 20 of 68 Posts