Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am Looking to buy a 2003 Arctic Cat Pantera 600 Efi 2 up with 4k on it. I was hoping to get some feedback on this machine as it will be the first snowmobile I have owned. Any issues, concerns to be looking for? It is coming with a new battery, spark plugs, fresh oil and grease.

·
Administrator
19,276 Posts
Cat did a pretty good job with their EFI, especially with the 600. The Pantera has a good reputation of being pretty smooth on the trails. Keep an eye on the driveline bearings and keep the chassis greased with good bearings in all the suspension wheels and it should do you well.

At 4000 miles, you may want to consider putting in new pistons, although the 600 was not near as bad for breaking piston skirts as it's older brother 580. Still, it's good insurance and lots cheaper to do before you break than after!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI Dan,

Thanks very much for your response. What kind of longevity can you expect with one of these units? I am also looking at a 2001 Arctic Cat Pantera 580, 2 up. 3K miles, picked track, electric start, reverse, no rips or tears. Always garaged and in excellent condition. Would there be much difference between these two machine, one being the 01 and the other the 03?

·
Administrator
19,276 Posts
The 580 has a pretty consistent reputation of cracking the piston skirts at around the 3000 mile mark. The 600 doesn't have that rep, not sure why, but they hold together better than the 580. I would replace the pistons on either one just to make sure you don't have to replace even more parts if the piston does let go. That gets expensive really fast.

The last Cats I had were mid 90's, ZR580's. Both suffered broken piston skirts. Panteras have the rep as being a pretty nice ride, especially on the trails.

·
Registered
27,125 Posts
Welcome
The Pantera is the Top of the line.
I have 3 of them!
I have a 95 580efi great sled!
Get the 600, it's newer!
I tell people that a piston only cost about the same as a tank of gas!
Get the 600 and talk him down a bit and then go through the engine!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome
I have 3 of them!
Get the 600, it's newer!
Welcome
I have 3 of them!
Get the 600, it's newer!
Hi KC, thanks for the input. The ask is $1800, so I wonder if $1500 is a fair offer for 4k miles. Is that alot of miles for a snowmobile and what wear items should have been or will need to be replaced at this point? He is putting in a new battery, and plugs and has greased the sled. Should I
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Studs look like they are shot but could be wrong you would have to get close ups of those. And even then studs are not that expensive 100-150 for a kit for 96 studs for a setup like that then 6" carbides for the plastic skis on it. Track looks decent enough as well. I would offer 1,500 and bet he jumps at it or says 1,600. Anything more then that with the off-season starting idk. 4,000 miles isn't a lot for a snowmobile. I've owned some with 8k on a 2 stroke without a rebuild on it. I would ask when the shocks were last rebuilt as well as those need to be done every couple of seasons, clutch springs replaced recently, secondary clutch serviced? Chaincase serviced as icr if that one had a diamond drive or not on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Studs look like they are shot but could be wrong you would have to get close ups of those. And even then studs are not that expensive 100-150 for a kit for 96 studs for a setup like that then 6" carbides for the plastic skis on it. Track looks decent enough as well. I would offer 1,500 and bet he jumps at it or says 1,600. Anything more then that with the off-season starting idk. 4,000 miles isn't a lot for a snowmobile. I've owned some with 8k on a 2 stroke without a rebuild on it. I would ask when the shocks were last rebuilt as well as those need to be done every couple of seasons, clutch springs replaced recently, secondary clutch serviced? Chaincase serviced as icr if that one had a diamond drive or not on it.
I did wind up buying it for $1500 which I felt was fair. Was the guy's father's unit and they sold their camp. Started right up, carbides in good shape, zero play in skis, hand warmers worked except for the thumb, tracked looked ok with no tears of rips, no broken plastic, windshield was clear with no damage. Seat has a tear and not sure if that can be repaired? Studs were a bit rusty but did not see any broken or missing ones. Overall looked very good. Fresh chaincase and coolant was clean and up to proper level. Did not know to ask about the shock but when pushed down it rebounded back up. Frame rails did not have any cracks or bends.
How do you repair / replace the thumb warmer, any suggestions on putting in a heated seat and rendering a small repair to the tear in the seat? Is there a kit / way to rig up power plugs for heated faceshields on the helmets? Lastly, does anyone have an owners manual / service manual or a link for these? Anything else I should be checking?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Studs could be worn down as that it what it looks like to me. Carbides I would still start out fresh with 6" carbides so you know along with fresh hyfax/slides as well. Double check all the bearings on the suspension, rebuild the shocks, fuel filter, anything that is wear item. Service the clutches as well regardless for some reason people don't replace clutch springs unless they break but over time they wear out. Most primary and secondary clutch springs should be changed every 1,500 to 2,000 miles. I would even consider a complete rebuild on the primary clutch with a balance on it. Seats can be recovered for about oh 100-150 at a lot of places.

Click Arctic Cat then 2002 or 2004 service manual both should work.

Sled Manuals - Box

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Coolhand. I will pick it possibly tommorrow or Thursday and look over the items you are identifying. I have owned ATV's for 20 years and this is my first snow mobile. Is an owners manual available as well, maybe through the arctic cat site. I know they usually only go back so many years. What is the HP of these 600's?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts