Snowmobile Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
My brother in-law took it to the dealer in Duluth today and wouldn't you now, it worked just fine. The dealer said they can't something that isn't broke. The sled is home now. I'll try it out again when I go home in July. If it doesn't work then, I'll show video of the reverse feature not working, then bring it back and demand that they do something to fix it even if it works at the dealer in Duluth.

There has to be some reason why it works in warm weather but not during the winter.

Ranb

· Registered
4,678 Posts
how about if you shut the machine off, start it, and immediately press the button for reverse?

anyway, it really sounds like the controller.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Tried it, didn't work in the winter. Not sure why it is working today. I'm rather disappointed that they refused to do anything after it worked for them today.

Ranb

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I figured it out. The manual says to press and hold the reverse button for a second then release. What is actually required is to press and immediately release the button; works every time now. Yeah I feel like an idiot.

Ranb

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
My latest problem. The choke switch broke off. Turns out it's a tiny piece of plastic, should be metal in my opinion. To choke the engine I use some side cutters to pull out the remnant of the choke pin and hold it out with a battery charger clamp.

The starter also refuses to engage now, still need to fix the bendix spring.

· Administrator
19,934 Posts
I had the same issue on my Prowler. Flipped the lever, dang thing broke right off. New parts were still available to fix it at the Arctic Cat dealer, all good to go now! Just need to get out on the snow!

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
The winter temperatures during xmas 2019 are 20-35 F, perfect for riding right now. With 18 inches of powder on the ground the trails are very nice.

Access to the Munger trail from my house near Olsonville was hampered by trees felled by heavy snow on the trail. My wife and I came to one we could not duck under and turning around with reverse was not an option in deep powder as the back end just digs in. We spend ten minutes lifting and turning the sled around to get back home. My wife said she was ready to collapse after that effort.

My brother and I went out with a chain saw to clear the trail. With over 400 pounds of people and chainsaw on the sled it handles differently to say the least. Even with the rear suspension lifted all the way up, the skis do not grab very well. We got stuck twice while sliding off the trail. This is why I bought the lightest 2-seater on the market. At under 500 pounds, it can be lifted much easier. The day they make a 2-seater with a fuel injected 4-stroke that weighs under 500 lbs, I'll buy it.

The problem last year with the dirty bendix spring/gear was mostly resolved with a squirt of WD-40, I'll keep cleaning it each summer. My latest issue is the head lamps. They only work on high beam, low beam does not work. I still need to figure out if it is the switch or the bulbs.

Ranb

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Has anyone installed passenger grip warmers on a 550 Indy LXT? Any brands to avoid?

My granddaughter has graduated from riding in front of me to being properly seated on the rear seat and has predictably found her hands to get cold after a while.

The sled is running fine; the WD-40 fix on the starter is still working. The speedometer and odometer sometimes do not work in sub-zero weather until the engine runs for a few minutes. Possibly a relay that is slow to shut in the colder weather? Thanks for any advice.

· Registered
27,931 Posts
I made a set of hand grips for my xwife.
I took a pair of the D style hand grips that bolt to tunnel with 1 bolt,
and just bolted them together, then a hand muff, she was able to put that in front of me and was able to hold on to me comfortably!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts