Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and I are in the market for a two seat snowmobile for short term use each winter in Minnesota. We live in western Washington State (no snow west of Puget Sound) and visit Minnesota each Christmas. We enjoy riding the Munger trail and other trails, but usually avoid the deep powder as neither one of us has much experience off the trail and want to avoid getting stuck. We tried a smaller Yamaha Phaser, easy to maneuver around the woods, but it does not hold two. We also rode a much heavier (850?) 2-seater but was difficult to handle in the fluff due to our inexperience and even harder to get unstuck due to the high weight.

The Polaris 550 Indy LXT is one we are looking at. The 467 pound dry weight and $7600 price tag are nice. In my limited experience, the two stroke engine with carburetors is less attractive. The two strokes tend to have smellier exhaust, something my wife hates. We are also looking at the Yamaha Venture MP. It is heavier at over 600 pounds and nearly $10,000 but has a four stroke fuel injected engine. We have not actually seen either of these two models yet. My wife is small and fits well in the smaller rear seats of ATV’s and sleds.

Because we are staying on the trails for the most part and MN is not mountainous, a 2-seater with a smaller engine will be just fine for us. We want to buy new and are interested in test driving one near Duluth this December. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ranb

· Registered
2,164 Posts
Much of the smell from 2 stroke comes from burning certain oils. I burn Spectro in all my sleds, and come home with very little odor having been picked up from riding. The four stroke motors are nice when it comes to mileage and the "gas and go" premise, but any repairs are spendy and they are MUCH heavier. If you're riding packed trails, you'll be fine, and may quite like the power steering. But, if you're running powder, that weight is like riding a two stroke with TWO passengers. :)

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not aware of a Phazer 2-seater. The R-TX, M-TX and X-TX are listed as single seater only. The only Yamaha 2-seat sleds I see on their website are the Venture and Viking.

Ranb

· Registered
2,164 Posts
As in bolting on a rear seat? Is the suspension designed to take the extra weight on those sleds?

Ranb
Not of two adults, no. Most Jack Seat type of add-ons are intended for smaller individuals, 80-100lbs limit.

· Registered
4 Posts
I forgot to mention..... If you're looking for a Polaris or Ski-Doo there's Duluth Lawn and Sport. They're usually pretty over priced on everything tho and I think their service guys are d-bags. So if I were you I'd drive the extra 30 miles to Sonju Two Harbors for the Polaris. That's just my .02. :)

Sent from Snowmobile.com Free App

· Registered
3,819 Posts
Four strokes are gonna be a bit heavier. The new skidoo etecs are pretty clean 2 strokes with good power out of a600 and proving to be reliable. Its really a matter of what your both the most comfortable on. With your limited exp and limited use.

Sent from Snowmobile.com Free App

· Registered
418 Posts
You can get phazers from Yamaha 2 up

· Sled Of The Month Judge
2,867 Posts
as far as I know, there is no 2 up phazer. You are probably referring to the venture mp, which is built on the same chassis.

· Registered
4,678 Posts
Ideal sled: 2014-2015 Tundra with 2 up with either the ACE (4-stroke) or the eTEC (clean 2 stroke). Like riding a nice ATV.

But, it cost.

Another approach would be two sleds. You just don't get the same fun out of being a passenger as you do driving it.

Bet your wife would absolutely love my 1999 Jag deluxe 340. Rides pretty good and it is very light. Electric start. The only thing it lacks is reverse. Don't know if they ever made one with reverse.

Skidoo Touring models are really nice on the trails and most have electric start, some have reverse. 1996 or later. Of course, until the eTEC (2006) and ACE motors came out, those were all 2 stroke.

But trust me, wives and young ladies all say they don't want to drive it, but then that one sled comes along that fits them perfectly and then you can't get them off it.

Unlike many, I don't shy away from smaller motors. Smaller motors have several advantages: 1. Fuel efficient 2. Cheaper to maintain 3. Easier to pull start 4. Lighter

· Registered
418 Posts
Ideal sled: 2014-2015 Tundra with 2 up with either the ACE (4-stroke) or the eTEC (clean 2 stroke). Like riding a nice ATV.

But, it cost.

Another approach would be two sleds. You just don't get the same fun out of being a passenger as you do driving it.

Bet your wife would absolutely love my 1999 Jag deluxe 340. Rides pretty good and it is very light. Electric start. The only thing it lacks is reverse. Don't know if they ever made one with reverse.

Skidoo Touring models are really nice on the trails and most have electric start, some have reverse. 1996 or later. Of course, until the eTEC (2006) and ACE motors came out, those were all 2 stroke.

But trust me, wives and young ladies all say they don't want to drive it, but then that one sled comes along that fits them perfectly and then you can't get them off it.

Unlike many, I don't shy away from smaller motors. Smaller motors have several advantages: 1. Fuel efficient 2. Cheaper to maintain 3. Easier to pull start 4. Lighter
If etec came out in 2006 then why were there sdi's in 2006 and 7 and then powerteks in 2008 -2010?

· Registered
4,678 Posts
Someone else said they came out in 2006, I was just repeating. I know e-tec for outboard motors has been out since 2002.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wife and I bought a 2014 550 Indy LXT. While I'd rather have a water cooled fuel injected four stroke, they are thousands more and heavier. Neither one of us is an experienced rider and we will only be using it ourselves 2 weeks each year as it is kept in MN and we live in WA. We need the lightest 2-seat for when (not if) we get it stuck.

We are an hour from any snowmobile trails in western WA. We have an ATV to keep us occupied in WA.

I've been looking for oil, belts and plugs. I'm going to stick with Polaris 2-stroke oil as it is what is recommended and the only other oil I can find that meets their specifications is Amsoil Intercepter, but it is more expensive. I've yet to find a extra belt (meeting 3211154 specs) for less than $100. Any suggestions?

Ranb

· Registered
2,164 Posts
Any quality 2-Stroke synthetic oil will be just fine. Oil specifications are often times "created" for a particular manufacturer and then magically only their own brand of oil ends up certified.

For my machines with VES valves, I use Spectro SynSno Synthetic for PowerValve motors with zero issues. In my non-VES motors, I burn Spectro Sno Gold with zero issues.

For the belt, you're going to find that it's a higher price because it's a CVT belt and those are a bit more spendy than the non-CVT belts. I understand it's a hefty price to swallow, but weigh it against the cost of chewing up a belt on a trail and not having a spare with you.

You could look around for a used one for a low cost and toss it in the machine solely as a spare. Then, as you get some miles on the belt and decide it's time to retire it, make the old belt your spare and buy a new one for the machine.

· Registered
1,341 Posts
I would HIGHLY recommend reconsidering a 2 up and instead look for two smaller engine single sleds. Big question is do you ride with other people? If the answer is no, a 2 up isn't an option. You have no redundancy if your one sled dies out in the middle of no where. With 2 single sleds you can always tow the dead sled back, or at least uncomfortably ride 2 up on a single to get back to civilization.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Too late, we already bought the 2-seater. We also use a 2-seat ATV and enjoy it very much. We take turns driving on the trails but are never very far from civilization. It will be the same with the snowmobile. If we ever venture far from the established trails we will go with a group. In the future we may also get a smaller machine that my wife (she is 4'8", 100 lbs) can handle more comfortably.

Ranb

· Registered
2,164 Posts
For the future...

The Polaris Classic 340 (no longer in production) is a very nice, nimble, lightweight, and fairly capable machine. You could also look out for something like my 1998 Indy 440 (liquid cooled, hard to find, harder to find in good condition) as its similar to the 340 but packs more punch. It could actually keep up nicely with the 550 fanner you just bought.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts