Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for fan cooled,340 440 with electric start and reverse. Probably late 90's - early 2000's to stay in my $1000 budget. Saw a 03 Polaris Classic 340 and 03 Ski Doo Legend. Any known gremlins with either. Been out of sledding a long time, so know nothing. Any advice appreciated

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
What part of the world/country you in?

Don't overlook the 503 Fans either. Usually more of them available.

Legend is a good machine. Believe they are just a redesigned Touring.

Two things changed for Skidoo in the 1995-2004 timeline, DESS key was introduced and RER was introduced. I'm not a big fan of the older style DESS key only because it was problematic.

The motors really didn't change a whole lot other than the fact that they introduced RER, Rotax Electronic Reverse. Push a button, the motor dies, and restarts backwards.

As far as suspensions, they did change out the type, but really the differences were very minor until the REVs came out.

Anyway, what does all that mean? The Legend, probably a 2003-2004? Probably has a DESS key and RER, but basically the same machine as the 1998 Touring EL
You can look at Tourings and Grand Tourings in the same time frame (1996-2003).

Should be noted that these are trail machines. With the 380 motor, the Legend would really dog on you in deep snow. The 500 motor would be a huge improvement on that regard. It wouldn't do great, but it would be okay in the powder for just a little bit of off-trail fun.

You mention Polaris, I won't go there. Not a fan of Polaris. However, I will say that the Arctic Cats in that time frame were really nice machines. Seeing that you are looking for a small motor machine, I'm guessing that you want this for a small person? I've said it many times, I've got anywhere from 7 to 9 machines in my yard when the grandkids come over and the machine they all flock to is the 1999 Jag Deluxe. They just love that machine. Small and light and easy to start (specially when the E-start is working). 1999 Cat had the Xtra-10 suspension under it, which is arguably the best suspension of the mid to late-90's.

I have a 1999 Jag Deluxe and a 1996 Touring E. The suspension under the Jag is much better than the Touring E, but the seat on the Touring E makes up for the suspension short comings. So both these machines really feel the same going down the same trail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts