• Option 4

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey our class has come up with some ideas we would like to see what ones you think are the best? If you have any comments please respond. These ideas ideas are relating to the problem of snowmobiles turning on pavement and how iot is very hard to do so. See our last post to view more

1.) We would add two wheels, one to each ski that would be dropped down by pressing a pedal and then could be raised after you had left pavement.

2.) We would have one wheel that would be dropped down in between the skis that would be able to rotate 180 degrees that would steer the sled on pavement.

3.) We could add treads on the skis themselves that spin like the back tread so you could control one or the other allowing the sled to turn

4.) We would make the back tread into two different treads so that you could turn one on while the other is off allowing the sled to turn right or left when on the pavement.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
They make the drop down wheels.
They are a carbide about 5" diam and on ea side of ski
You simply step down on the lever between the skis and hook
You then can STEER on concrete and in and out of trailer etc

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi KBlaker,

I have a set of Kimpex wheels on my sled which would be your #1 idea (above).
If this is a remote learning idea for your kids I applaud you for the idea. (I also work in a school board).

Something they might also consider working on related to this is the problem of lubrication for the sliders while driving on concrete or pavement.
If you are on an ice road, you put your scratchers down and are "good to go".

For a short run on pavement or concrete normally lubrication is not a concern.

However, if you (for example) had to take a detour through town because of unsafe ice (like we had in mine this year). It was over a kilometer of road driving.
If you drive too fast or too far without lubrication the sliders will start to melt.

Just something you could bring up and see what their young minds come up with.

Best of luck and stay safe.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
In racing we had dish soap dispensers on hyfax and on the asphalt they remove the hyfax completely!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts